250 SHO starter?

dcathey

This past weekend I noticed a slightly hesitant start that got a little worse. Pulled out of the water Tuesday and brought to my shop and flushed on hose…. Again a weak start. I assumed I had a weak connection somewhere so I cleaned and inspected and tested every spot…. Also tried another battery. The weak start became a click and motor won’t turn at all. When trying to crank 2-3 times I then get an alarm(very odd). Next I tried a jump box on the motor connections with cowling off. Nothing. I pulled plastic off to test starter , 12.7 v on the red , 0 on brown wire , when cranking 12.7v. Is this a dead starter or anything I need to look at? I ordered an aftermarket (Yamaha oem unavailable) that will be here Monday but thought I’d entertain other ideas while waiting. Thanks 

You can save a ton of money if you take your starter to a shop that does nothing but rebuild starters , alternators and generators . They will usually bench check the starter when you drop it off . Usually when a starter has seen better days you will have a big voltage drop when you turn the key example looking at your battery voltage on your Yamaha gauge the battery voltage with the key on should be 12.4 or better when you turn the key it should drop temp no more than 9.5 with a good battery . If the starter brushes and or armature and solenoid have seen better days a lot of the time you can tap on the starter and it may work a few more times this is not a fix it’s just a way of confirming that the starter has a internal problem and is in need of repair . Again a good starter repair shop can save you a lot of money by rebuilding your starter . New starters are expensive. 

On the F150 there is an external starter relay, would assume sho is the same. It's about a 1 inch cube if I remember correctly. Contacts in the relay get dirty from arcing. Symptoms are a delay or sluggish starter when you turn the key. Gets worse over time as the contacts get dirtier. When really bad you'll hear the relay click but the contacts connecting battery voltage to the starter won't allow enough power for the starter to turn or it will be sluggish.

Replaced mine a few months ago. Part was about 70 bucks.

You may look into this as well....

I recently went through this similar problem you are describing and couldn't figure it out so I took it to a local shop. There is a wire/cable at the bottom of the starter that was about 4-5" long and went from the starter to the solenoid pack.  Grab it and pull on/ wiggle it from start to finish. Mine has separated inside the cable and would only make a connection intermittently. it was an easy fix but hard for someone like me to find and diagnose. R=What I am saying is check the battery cables and feel for weak spots in the cable.

Here is the part number I needed in case I can't explain it properly. I have a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke. part number 6E5-82117-01-00

It’s definitely inside the starter(the click). Hoping the aftermarket shows up Monday to get back on the water quickly. If OEM become available I’ll probably order one because that one lasted a while. 

I searched for a shop around here or somewhere to send for a rebuild but found nothing

This is a post from Drummer not to long ago

I had a starter failure while on a charter a couple days ago, which was a bummer. Fortunately we were able to "tap" the unit and get her running, one time, which was all we needed. I ended up replacing the starter with an  OE Hitachi replacement unit, which I purchased from Arco in Pensacola, FL. They were over $100 less than any other price I could find. FYI. Arco. After bench testing the dead starter, it turned out the solenoid was the culprit. So, if anybody has a dead starter with a good solenoid I would love to have it so I'll have a spare. VF250. Onward. 

• Like 1