Water in bildge 2016 pathfinder 2400 trs

swflsnook

Hey guys, never posted here before and the only reason I am is to hopefully help someone in the future.  I own a 2016 24 trs and for the past year I've noticed water coming in the bildge when it shouldn't.  When I inspected it at the ramp, I narrowed it down that it was coming from the bildge side drain hole that leads to the port side of the boat.  You are not able to access this side of the boat so I figured it had to be coming from one of two places on the port side. The trim tab or the dive ladder. Well today while on the trailer I lowered the bow of the boat, stuck a charged hose into that bildge hole and when under the boat. I finally found it, it was coming out of the trim tab plate mounting screws, alot of water too. Upon further inspection I could see why. One of the screws wasn't even screwed in flush.

20210730_163109.jpg

20210730_174918.jpg

20210730_174522.jpg

Continued from above post....the screw that was leaking you can see from the pics how it was installed. This was from the factory. Anyway I'm not here to bash pathfinder or anything just wanted to give a heads up of where I found my leak as it has been a pain in my *** trying to find time to mess with it. Now I have to clean up that area and build up that hole with epoxy and re-do screw holes.  Hope this may help someone out or remind to check there trim tab screws

Thank you, Sir !

That’s a good find.. Will you get all the sealer out of the pocket and dry it out very well before you repair and re-seal ? 
Anybody have a suggestion for the best sealant to use on the screws, and possibly a different sealant for bedding the tabs ??

Just wondering..

MM 

Looks like from the pictures that the screws my need to be moved back more onto the flat. The center screw and the one that was leaking are installed to close to or on the edge of the recess. That IMO is a problem.  Also I would seek professional advice on what to use and how to prep and repair the area before you reinstall the trim tab.

With what we have invested in these boats these days I am of the  Make it Absolutely as Right as You Can opinion.  

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 7:37 PM, jh141 said:

Looks like from the pictures that the screws my need to be moved back more onto the flat. The center screw and the one that was leaking are installed to close to or on the edge of the recess. That IMO is a problem. 

It looks like the tab may not have been installed in exactly the correct location.

Here is my question - When was your boat built, exactly??

The reason I ask is that my 2016 2200TRS was built in February, 2016 and has had a number of "mistakes" made while at the factory.  I discovered them one at a time but they have added up.  Here is a partial list...I found a second drain plug and the chrome plate it screws into, just lying in the bilge.  The pan under the leaning post seat was cracked.  The latches that hold the leaning post seat down were mis-aligned so that the seat would pop open while under tow.  The bow lifting cleat was installed with the incorrect threaded rod causing it to loosen up.  Of course that spring thingy that was supposed to hold the anchor locker lid open never worked properly.  The backrests for the rear seats used to pop up while under tow because the ball-in-socket thingy was not enough to hold them down.  Etc., Etc.

Was there something going on at the company or at the factory in early 2016 that may have lead to these problems?

I'm not a wine drinker but I understand that during some years, the conditions were perfect for grapes resulting in very good wine.  Other years, not so much.

Was the year 2016 not a good vintage for Pathfinder TRS boats?

2 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

It looks like the tab may not have been installed in exactly the correct location.

Here is my question - When was your boat built, exactly??

The reason I ask is that my 2016 2200TRS was built in February, 2016 and has had a number of "mistakes" made while at the factory.  I discovered them one at a time but they have added up.  Here is a partial list...I found a second drain plug and the chrome plate it screws into, just lying in the bilge.  The pan under the leaning post seat was cracked.  The latches that hold the leaning post seat down were mis-aligned so that the seat would pop open while under tow.  The bow lifting cleat was installed with the incorrect threaded rod causing it to loosen up.  Of course that spring thingy that was supposed to hold the anchor locker lid open never worked properly.  The backrests for the rear seats used to pop up while under tow because the ball-in-socket thingy was not enough to hold them down.  Etc., Etc.

Was there something going on at the company or at the factory in early 2016 that may have lead to these problems?

I'm not a wine drinker but I understand that during some years, the conditions were perfect for grapes resulting in very good wine.  Other years, not so much.

Was the year 2016 not a good vintage for Pathfinder TRS boats?

I have a similar list for my 2015 2200TE (for example, labeling on the shutoff valves does not match the electrical switches for the associated live well and why call them 1, 2 and 3? Which live well is 1, 2 or 3? Had to bevel all the edges on the hatch covers to keep them from rubbing and creaking every time you stepped on one) and considering that the dealerships are not close by and change every couple of years in my area, means you are on your own to fix all issues. That and the so called owner’s manual, which is literally a waste of paper, results in some frustration and disappointment.

A used Pathfinder, that has the bugs worked out by the owner, will be better than a factory fresh model.