… - - - … HELP !!!

fin-addict

Fin, You keep mentioning that when you turn the battery switch on everything, radio and vhf come on.  Is it possible that because you have the radio in the on position it is drawing current and draining your battery's vhf as well.  Yet when you turn off the switch it gives the batteries time to gain a little life just long enough to power them back up.  Almost sounds like you need to charge the house batteries since they are the ones controlling those devices.  TM is on a separate circuit correct?

5 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

Racer, engines start right up without any problems, that would be the biggest draw imo. The only thing that powers up when the batts switch turned to ON is the stereo. Have to push the off button to turn it off if not wanting it on. Everything else has to be turned on myself. 

That's right , you id say the engines start right up.  Got caught up in reading the entire post and sorry bout that Fin...

• Like 1

Sorry, I missed your post when you explained that. I went back and reread everything, Wish I was closer, I would come by. 

"All was good except for a spark when connecting + wire from breaker to + battery terminal. Don’t recall if I explained this in first post. To frustrated to look back but wanted to give all details"

That should only happen because the TM is always connected and the breaker was closed. The spark is indicating an instant voltage draw from the TM.

I do not think the TM work has anything to do with, how could it if it is a completely separate circuit.

Glad you have an professional coming. It will be worth it for the piece of mind.

Keep us updated

• Like 1

UPDATE 8-12  12:30p

Repairman just left but needs to return next week to complete job. He is on vacation but did me a favor in coming today. Not to thrilled in what he found and told and showed me. Do not know if this is MBC standard of doing things.

Main wiring from battery switch  to main fuse block is 12ga not 8ga. Auto not marine grade. Going to rewire with 8 and marine grade.

Fuse block is the problem. Along with too many wires to blade type terminals. Cheap fuse block used. Changing out to a better block with more terminals and rewired correctly and using marine grade wiring.

going to clean up some wiring where needed.

batteries suggested being changed to AGM 27’s not the wet cell 27’s presently in use. Present batteries are 5 years old and still cranks good.

Voltage at the battery switch was 12+ to the end run to the fuse block. From the fuse block out was, lol, 2.3v 🤦‍♂️. Think there’s a problem.

He states all work including 1 1/2 hrs today will be 1300-1500. He gets $120. Per hr. Does this seem fair. Understand from what I read a complete rewire could run over 3k. Feedback welcomed. 😀👍️Fin.

16 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

well, the $120/hr seems about right.  Hate that it is going to cost you that much though to get this problem fixed.  But like JH141 said, piece of mind is what is needed when your out on the water.  Send pics when ocmpleted, would love to see the art when he is done.

I will take photos but really don’t think it’s going to be much of a difference as the wiring is neat as it is. No birds nest and most already bundled. Main difference will be at the block as I see it. The oem wiring was a neat job both at the console and battery compartment.

• Like 2

Update 8-17

Received call from electrician, over tomorrow am to do the work. Cannot get AGM batteries, none  available due to Covid shutdown. Six month backlog.

installing Blue Seas fuse block,  pos 12 terminal with neg buss terminals and cover.

Going to TRY to pull 8 ga + & - main leads from batt switch to new fuse panel. If not will use the present oem 12 ga. Spoke to two yards, told that pulling new leads on this boat is very hard. Does anyone having a 2200v run across this problem and what was your actions to resolve or suggestions.

If possible I like to be one step ahead of work being done on things of mine. A bit of OCD 😂 and like having options beforehand rather than on the spot.

😀👍🙏️fin

10 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Update 8-17

Received call from electrician, over tomorrow am to do the work. Cannot get AGM batteries, none  available due to Covid shutdown. Six month backlog.

installing Blue Seas fuse block,  pos 12 terminal with neg buss terminals and cover.

Going to TRY to pull 8 ga + & - main leads from batt switch to new fuse panel. If not will use the present oem 12 ga. Spoke to two yards, told that pulling new leads on this boat is very hard. Does anyone having a 2200v run across this problem and what was your actions to resolve or suggestions.

If possible I like to be one step ahead of work being done on things of mine. A bit of OCD 😂 and like having options beforehand rather than on the spot.

😀👍🙏️fin

When I rewired mine I pulled in 10 ga from batt sw to new blue seas fuse block I think 8 is a little overkill.  I never had much of a problem running new wire through the rigging tube.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Orielly's Auto parts has the AGM's with free shipping. Same as the Dura Cell agm and better pricing than Batteries Plus.

As for the wire pull, leave the old wire in place and look for a pull string or try a fiber glass snake with lots of dawn to slick it up.

Thanks for the batt info. No pull string. He is going to use a snake. Thanks guy 👍

VENTING,

Just received call that work today is cancelled till Friday.  Emailed me two times early this am to inform me of this knowing his emails to me goes to  my trash. Should have texted or called earlier not 1/2 hr before time of arrival or better yet last night when he knew this due to lack of needed supplies.

Was waiting for a delivery from Amazon for heat shrink ring terminals. Why not just go to stores five minutes from here to get them. Three auto supplies, Home Depot, Walmart’s, West Marine and three marine repair shops. What am I missing doing something so simple.

What gets me, I took the time early this morning to prep the boat for the work, drying it off, pulling into dock, opening hatches to vent air and even erecting a sun shade as not to work in the sun in the back compartment.

Thanks guys, fin

On 8/18/2021 at 10:01 AM, smilemaker said:

Someone is  paying 130 hrs on Wednesday 

NO 😂, Wednesday only has 24hrs. You must be thinking of Monday my friend.😀. I am paying $120. Per hrs incl. travel time. Lucky to get any qualified marine electrician, he is also on vacation and doing me a favor to get back on the water. He’s booked for the next 4 months and turning business away. He does not do anything but marine electronics, repair and install.

update today.

removed old bad fuse block and neg buss bar. Rewired in new one. Found bad inline fuse box that was giving varied volt readings. Removed old non used wiring. Cut back both ends panel wiring, new terminals and rewired where needed. Traced and marked all wiring to fuse panel. Made notes of everything he did and pics to file.

still needs to find short to spreader lights bow and stern on same switch. Replacing and rewiring spreaders.  Bow nav lights not working but aft white is. Need to trace. Still has some cleanup in batt comp. and going to try to run new 8ga mains on with the rest. 

photos for those who love pics of work. Good weekend and be safe, fin 😀👍🙏

pile of wiring is half of what was removed, he cleaned up as he worked.

2F0B1744-B8B6-46AA-8C60-D058F276F38E.jpeg

F8EA92A8-F51B-4F72-BC36-856AB933F570.jpeg

B42D9471-6C7D-4494-84C4-A704395A6DBB.jpeg

57B6050F-BAC9-449D-A664-747E618758EC.jpeg

C0711C8A-58C7-438B-90FE-47FBFDB25B20.jpeg

CBD6CF24-F709-42E1-B9BF-27A94AD49417.jpeg

• Like 2