Last Request: UPDATE…Looking for info on Marathon area in December.

rubble

Original Topic:   Looking for Rental House in Middle Keys for Christmas.

Heading down to the Keys to visit in-laws during the Christmas Holiday Season.  Not sure the dates yet.  Could hinge on availability of a house.  Will have about 8 to 12 people staying in the house and hope to have a dock for the Pathfinder.  Any recommendations?  Members with houses to rent or rental connections?  My Bro-in-law works for a real estate broker in that area and is on the look as well but thinks we may have gotten a late start.  Islamorada or Marathon areas.

UPDATE:…. Think we have nailed down a place in Marathon for a week in December.  Going to be able to dock boat behind house.  Canal is on the Gulf side near the airport area.  Any info on areas to fish, types of fishing close, types of bait that time of year and anything else that would help be greatly appreciated.  Fishing out of a 20’ Pathy and 21’ MA.  Mostly geared up for inshore/near shore.  Have typical light tackle spin gear.  M and MH rods with 1500 to 4000 reels.  Have a couple of decent popping cork rigs that are heavier.  Have FL Marine Tracks.  

3 hours ago, rubble said:

My Bro-in-law works for a real estate broker in that area and is on the look as well but thinks we may have gotten a late start.  Islamorada or Marathon areas.

Yep....this year STAY-cations are going to taking place in the USA vs travel....

I would PM forum member Lobbys on the forum...he's a local in Marathon and knows everyone....former mayor of Marathon if I'm not mistaken.

dc

• rubble changed the title to UPDATE: Looking for info on Marathon area in December.
  • 1 month later...

Found a place at Key Colony.  Will be on the Atlantic Side but right on the water.  Will have an 21MA and 2000V.  Any pointers on where to tighten some lines would be greatly appreciated.  I don’t think we will try to venture offshore but if the day is right and we get the itch, may give it a shot.  Wouldn’t mind to bloody the deck a little.  Definitely going to run over to the ENP for a day or two. I’d love to find some snook to play with but I’ll settle for anything that is eating.  The Catch is a bonus.  Haven’t been on the water to fish since last Dec.  It’s time.  Can’t wait.  

10 hours ago, Moderator said:

That will be fine. I misinterpreted the “Atlantic side right on the water..”

Sorry. 
you will have a lot of open water running to the Park. Depends on the wind speed and direction.. I hope you get some calm weather during your trip !

MM

Bro-in-law lives in Islamorada so if we hit the Park we can trailer back down to his place.  Actually, I think the plans are to do the Park prior to heading to Key Colony.  I'll be taking the boat down a few days ahead of my wife & Kids and before our rental in Key Colony is available. 

That’s the beauty of Islamorada: you can travel on either side of the Island and stay out of the wind chop.  If you have a good map of the Park, you can stay behind the flats and banks and work you way back in.  There is a Permit and daily fee to go in there.. Online. 
No back country behind Marathon.. Long Key basin holds some fish and the two bridges see local fish on the tides. 
Enjoy the trip !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • rubble changed the title to Last Request: UPDATE…Looking for info on Marathon area in December.

Our stay is nearing an end.  Not finding many fish anywhere inshore.  Found some Mang Snaps on the humps out in the bay but no luck around the bridges or cuts.  Also no luck back in the canals and docks.  We are staying in Key Colony.  Pretty decent access to anywhere around Marathon.

If anyone has any places to try, would be happy to see if anything is eating.

If you can get to the patch reefs...try some yellow tailing....years ago I used to fish straight out of the end of the 7 mile bridge lined up with the koa camp site....

get into 30-50 feet of water on the reef and chum like crazy....small hooks and 4-5 boxes of chum should bring them up....

good luck....weather doesn't seem to bad for nearshore....

dc

GMZ042>044-230330-
Hawk Channel from Ocean Reef to Craig Key out to the reef-
Hawk Channel from Craig Key to west end of Seven Mile Bridge out
to the reef-
Hawk Channel from west end of Seven Mile Bridge to Halfmoon Shoal
out to the reef-
546 PM EST Wed Dec 22 2021

Updated to include isolated showers this evening

North winds near 15 knots, becoming north to northeast.
Seas 1 to 3 feet, except 3 to 4 feet west of Cosgrove Shoal
Light. Nearshore waters a moderate chop. Isolated showers in the
evening.

North to northeast winds near 15 knots, decreasing to
10 to 15 knots. Seas 1 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate
chop, becoming a light to moderate chop.

Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas
1 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters a light to moderate chop.

Northeast to east winds 10 to 15 knots, decreasing
to near 10 knots. Seas 1 to 3 feet, subsiding to 1 to 2 feet.
Nearshore waters a light to moderate chop, becoming a light chop.

Northeast to east winds near 10 knots. Seas 1 to
2 feet. Nearshore waters a light chop.

Northeast to east winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas
around 1 foot. Nearshore waters smooth to a light chop.

Northeast winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas
1 foot or less. Nearshore waters smooth to a light chop.