23 HPS Aluminum Tank Replacement

Has anyone experienced any tank failures on the 23 HPS? I have a 2013 and come to see my aluminum tank is cracked. Last trip, leaving ramp, unplu get the drain plug and pure gas. 4 days later, finally qtr tank emptied. MBG does not replace tanks and refers to tank manufacturer RDS. These tanks are just over 3mm which seems quite thin and failed within 8 yrs. Trying to find local shop in Miami for replacement. Console, T Top have to be removed and floor cut to extract tank, not an easy task. Any owners experienced the same and where and what cost are we looking at. Located in Miami

I suggest you contact the owner of Fiberglass by Design in Fort Lauderdale...his name is Richard.

Tell him Dino sent you.....he is the one who did my tank replacement on my MA17 - Look at my thread on the restoration of the Holy Ghost - we encountered many problems and we solved them together....he is a stand up guy who runs a large operation....be very very careful of work in Miami and "local" fiberglass repair....there are many a boater who "put down money" only to find the work is delayed or never completed....

his number is 954 401 5668 direct cell phone

The Outlaw on the forum at AIM Welding in FLL works with his team to make the tank.....his work is flawless.

feel free to PM me with your cell and I will give you a call.

DC

13 hours ago, JDs HPS said:

Wanaflatsfish, that's a great thread on the holy ghost, beautiful work. I'll try Richard this week, appreciate the contact. 

Anyone experienced cracked aluminum tanks on their 23 hps? 

You are welcome....I just got a text from @ Outlaw and he mentioned he has some time open on his schedule in September (I was going to have some work done on my tower, but, I think I will wait a bit)....See if Richard can get the tank out and Outlaw can make it for you...

As a point of refenrence...when I was doing the work...other tank makers were taking 4-6 weeks to get them completed...so, you'll need to work this into your schedule if you don't go with AIM...they work close with Richard's shop and give him priority...you are probably looking at a week or so to de-rig the console and T-Top and then a week or two for the tank to be made...then a few more weeks to get it completed by the glass guys....so, figure minimum 8 weeks in total if all goes well....

DC

• 2 weeks later...

JD,

I have a 2013 2200TRS and currently have an issue with my tank as well.  There is a significant leak coming from mine as well and after doing a pressure test I can see air blowing up the right side of the tank.  I am in the same boat "No pun intended" and have received quotes to do the repair from $5500 to $7300, but that is with me taking the helm, t-top, and leaning rest off.  I live in the Tampa area so I know it would be a haul for you as well.  My tank was also produced by RDS, which they refused to assist with any repairs.

Tod,  appears Pathfinder has contracted with a poor fuel tank manufacturer. Unacceptable for an 8 yr aluminum tank to fail prematurely. Pathfinder should be supporting their customers with these failures but their response is call RDS as they can't do anything at their manufacturing facility. They can't even provide recommendations where to make the repairs. I'm going up to Fiberglass by Design in Ft Lauderdale this Saturday that Dino recommended on this forum to speak with Richard the owner to see if he will work on my boat. I also came across another 2012 23HPS with a tank failure down south. I am quite disappointed with MBG on their lack of customer support with these fuel tank failures. We may start seeing an increased number of fuel tank failures in the near future as they are beginning to surface. MBG should be prepared on how to support these issues as I'm sure customers will be hesitant to drop $100k on a Pathfinder and potentially have tank failures prematurely......this is rediculous 

JD, I totally agree that this is ridiculous.  When I spoke to Pathfinder they pretty much said since its not under warranty it's not their problem. It was kind of upsetting since we do spend our good money on their product expecting it to last.  And when they push you off to the tank manufacturer they also give you the run around and not standing behind their product.  I almost feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of politicians.  After I fix the boat I'll hang on to it a little longer but when it comes time for a new boat it wont be a Pathfinder.  Good luck with the shop in Ft. Lauderdale, hopefully they can work you out a good deal.

• 4 months later...