Hole in the fuel tank

Hello all I normally don't post on here and mainly just lurk for answers.  I have a 2013 2200 TRS and have recently discovered that that I have a hole in my fuel tank, too the point that it leaks out 15 gals of fuel in a matter of minutes.  I spoke to Pathfinder and they advised that it's not there issue, that it is a component issue.  They referred me to the tank manufacturer, RDS Aluminum.  They have in turn said that I have failed to maintain the tank because in the photo's and video I sent them you can see mildew and some corrosion on an electrical wire.  I have owned many boats and have never been told that I had to clean off the tank every now and then.  Either way I'm having to bite the bullet and restore my dream boat so I can get back on the water.  I wanted to reach out to the forum and ask if anyone else has had this issue in such a newer boat and also if there are any recommendations in the Tampa area.  I know that a hole needs to be cut in the top cap to remove the fuel tank and I am willing to remove the helm and t-top and disconnect the electrical wires.  Just looking for a good fiberglass/ marine mechanic to do the repairs. I have some quotes between $5500 to $7200. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, That is sad to hear. I have a 2012 2200 TRS I bought new. I am not seeing what cleaning the top of the tank would have to do with anything. I would say you will find a split seam ounce you get the tank out.  Please let us know what you find.

I have not seen any tank replacement threads on our style and year of boat.  

It would be very helpful if you could document the process, but I know that may not be possible. 

If you do not get any suggestions on a good shop here, Post in General asking for recommendations in Tampa area.  

I’ve never heard of cleaning the top of the fuel tank .... I mean, who opens the hatch when washing the boat and cleans the top of fuel tank ?  I understand that if you are doing something in there and see some surface corrosion or slime buildup that you clean it....but to regularly look ???? I would have to remove 5 batteries from console just to get to the hatch. 

Does anyone here clean the top of fuel tank on a regular basis ? 

I am sorry to here about this. I recently used Holland Fiberglass off of Linebaugh ave and had good results. They rebuilt the transom on my new to me Maverick about 3 months ago. Leland was my contact at Holland. They did the fiberglass work but did have there mechanic remove my engine and jackplate.

• Like 1

Yes when RDS told me that and blamed it on the chemicals from my deck cleaner getting on top of the tank it just irritated me.  I've been boating since a very young age as most of us and I have never been told to clean the tank area.  It is suppose to be fully enclosed so how does that even happen.  The only thing I can think of something in the bilge area that allows water to drain out of that area may have gotten blocked, but that even sounds odd, and do to my boating/fishing style there is nothing of mine that could have gotten in there.  The boat only has 330hrs on it and stays under cover with the drain plug open to allow water to drain out in case it does get wet.  I'll keep you posted on what I find when I get the tank out.  Currently trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for this projuect.

• Like 1