Goodbye CATCH A FIRE

pondfisher

It is with equal sadness and happiness that I say goodbye to my pride and joy MA 17. It was a great 17 year run but I felt like this was the time to make the move to fish on foot for a spell while I figure out what is ahead for pondfisher 2.0

The ol’ gal has a great new home in Hilton Head, SC, with a MBG forum member who is no stranger to the Maverick family. He has owned a number of different Maverick, Hewes and Pathfinders and was delightful to work with. Take good care of her, MBC 2001.

As Jerry would say…

I know you, rider, gonna miss me while I’m gone.

~ Grateful Dead

D940ED34-5765-408A-AFF9-95A616B91069.thumb.jpeg.ec37ba8d18b6038cc1cbde1404b03a90.jpegE2D6AEDD-F4EE-4917-8CEE-32C9A9259F76.thumb.jpeg.133a6c254e23b5c989b2da4402c2a3e0.jpegA75D95D7-785A-4565-B84E-FEFBCEA20595.thumb.jpeg.62bf9845bd953155366293d03baefc36.jpegC8B6B500-09C1-413E-AD07-25270222A8E7.thumb.jpeg.9c32c1bdb937d37ffad0de0ca3f7e6e6.jpeg9353220C-7A82-4B01-A52E-9B6C9FF0319A.thumb.jpeg.aa72c1cf4b598ba84542b6c38922790a.jpeg

I know that it is very common to hear people say that’s a good looking boat but that really is a great looking boat . Looking at that thing drive away is why I would not own a boat that I couldn’t keep in the garage . It had to be a hard decision selling that beautiful rig . I know that at 65 years old I am wondering how much longer I will be able to use and keep my boat in the condition that In like to keep it in . That had to be a very difficult decision for you and a great opportunity for the new owner . Joe R 

6 hours ago, dabear said:

I know that it is very common to hear people say that’s a good looking boat but that really is a great looking boat . Looking at that thing drive away is why I would not own a boat that I couldn’t keep in the garage . It had to be a hard decision selling that beautiful rig . I know that at 65 years old I am wondering how much longer I will be able to use and keep my boat in the condition that In like to keep it in . That had to be a very difficult decision for you and a great opportunity for the new owner . Joe R 

Thanks Joe. Tough decision but the right one. Was too much work and money for the little bit I used the boat. 17 years ago I took her out a few times per month but then it became only once or twice every couple months. Long distances to the ramp, boat ramp circuses, millions of boats on the water, etc., it was becoming a chore rather than a joy. Losing my love for Florida. But I sold her to a terrific young man from SC who truly loves the boat and was fantastic to work with on the transition. (Not all of the potential buyers were as easy!)

I have a new life goal of moving to the Rockies and filling my days with trout fishing once I retire from my Florida career. Maybe get a nice raft out there. 

Pond fisher , What ever direction your next step in life takes you in I hope it brings you many years of joy in your retirement. If we didn’t have grandchildren in this area that still need attention we would be looking for a more peaceful location to spend our retirement years in also .  Like selling your boat moving from Florida is also a gutsy life changing decision. Take care . Joe R 

• Like 1

Your photos made me smile. I was recently going through an old photo album - yes, photo album, pre-cell phone age! When I sold my 1991 Hewes Redfisher in 2003 I took almost the exact photos you did, of my boat being hooked up and driven out of my driveway by its new owner. A lot of great memories were created on that boat. I wish you luck in your next chapter in your life!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, dabear said:

Pond fisher , What ever direction your next step in life takes you in I hope it brings you many years of joy in your retirement. If we didn’t have grandchildren in this area that still need attention we would be looking for a more peaceful location to spend our retirement years in also .  Like selling your boat moving from Florida is also a gutsy life changing decision. Take care . Joe R 

Thank you Joe.🙂

10 hours ago, MikeH said:

Your photos made me smile. I was recently going through an old photo album - yes, photo album, pre-cell phone age! When I sold my 1991 Hewes Redfisher in 2003 I took almost the exact photos you did, of my boat being hooked up and driven out of my driveway by its new owner. A lot of great memories were created on that boat. I wish you luck in your next chapter in your life!

Thank you very much, Mike. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, Capt. Troy said:

I may not be far behind you for the same reasons you mentioned.

Gonna be a sad day!

I had so many close calls on the highway/interstate in the past few years. Mostly people not acknowledging my turn signal which nearly resulted in squeezing my whole rig off the road, into a guard rail, into another vehicle, etc. The lack of driver skill, kindness, ability, politeness, etc., has become so poor around here, I couldn’t take it anymore, Troy. The last trip before I sold her I had two different people flick me off when it was clearly THEIR lack of knowledge about the rules of the road. It’s just become too much - in this zip code in any case. 

That is why I don't fish the Bay anymore. Traffic on the road is nuts to get there from Odessa.

I can make Anclote in 20 minutes and only do about 2 miles on 19.

Butt and a big Butt is the boat ramp. The crazies on the water, the water quality, the fishing pressure and lack of fish.

Fishing closures inshore and offshore.

Then the costs. My slip fee has doubled in 2 years, my insurance almost doubled. Then they dropped me after 17 years with no claims.

The deer and turkey population may suffer now.😛

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ya know Capt. Troy and Mr. Pondfisher I know where you're coming from BIG time. Just not the same. Sold my waterfront house a few months ago because fishing is just not as much fun anymore and going out on the weekends is an absolute NO...NO!! Been fishing Tampa Bay since 1968 and without exaggeration there is 100 times more boat traffic and one million times more idiots out there to deal with with poop for brains!! Some things do not change for the better. :( 

OK. I'm off my bandwagon........