Hewes Redfisher 18 2022 Suzuki 115

Fsu11

I just repowered with a suzuki 115 on my 2001 hewes redfisher 18 and I already broke in the motor but I currently have a 14x20pitch 3 blade stainless prop and I am only seeing 5100-5200 rpms at WOT what pitch should I go down to?

hoping Geeviam will see this and chime in.

Nice looking boat and I’m sure the new four stroke on there. Talking props is more like voodoo than science. If you go down to a 19 pitch and a little less diameter it will likely get you more toward 5500 rpm. Obviously if you want to hit the Rev limiter that may take a 17 pitch. If you drop from 20 pitch to 17 pitch to get the rpm up I doubt your going to find much more top end speed. I would look to run a smaller 19 to get some data if you could find a loaner. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fsu11 said:

I just repowered with a suzuki 115 on my 2001 hewes redfisher 18 and I already broke in the motor but I currently have a 14x20pitch 3 blade stainless prop and I am only seeing 5100-5200 rpms at WOT what pitch should I go down to?

hoping Geeviam will see this and chime in.

Great looking boat!  HoneyB is spot-on here.  There are so many variables that can affect how a prop performs on any given hull, so a recommendation is only an educated guess at best.  The 14 x 20 Zuke prop is a hefty one to spin, but your maximum RPMs still seem lower than they should be, with a 20" shaft and 2.59:1 gear ratio.  If you drop down in diameter and pitch with a Michigan Wheel Apollo XHS 13.125" x 19 pitch (part# 993145), you would technically gain about 590 RPM.  Hole-shot, acceleration and fuel economy would be better, but I'm not sure you would gain much top-end speed - maybe 2 MPH at best.  I have an Apollo XHS and it performs well.  The price is right too, without any difference in finish quality - compared to the higher priced Merc, Yamaha, and PT props.  But, finding a supplier with one in stock right now would be like finding a Unicorn.  If you find one, you would also need a XHS II® (Drop-In Hub) Kit #226.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:05 PM, geeviam said:

Great looking boat!  HoneyB is spot-on here.  There are so many variables that can affect how a prop performs on any given hull, so a recommendation is only an educated guess at best.  The 14 x 20 Zuke prop is a hefty one to spin, but your maximum RPMs still seem lower than they should be, with a 20" shaft and 2.59:1 gear ratio.  If you drop down in diameter and pitch with a Michigan Wheel Apollo XHS 13.125" x 19 pitch (part# 993145), you would technically gain about 590 RPM.  Hole-shot, acceleration and fuel economy would be better, but I'm not sure you would gain much top-end speed - maybe 2 MPH at best.  I have an Apollo XHS and it performs well.  The price is right too, without any difference in finish quality - compared to the higher priced Merc, Yamaha, and PT props.  But, finding a supplier with one in stock right now would be like finding a Unicorn.  If you find one, you would also need a XHS II® (Drop-In Hub) Kit #226.  Good luck!

swapped for a 14x18p since i can swap for free from the dealer, and it shot my rpms over redline so swapping to a 14x19 hoping it will at least get me fishable for the time being. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Is the prop the same style as the first prop? Just curious because gaining what 700 rpm on two inches of pitch is kinda strange. The good news is your gathering data for free if your dealer is swapping the props for you ! Carry on sir your on the right track! 

yep same prop went from a suzuki stainless 3 blade 14x20p to a suzuki stainless 3 blade 14x18p, the acceleration was way better but the motor had to be trimmed down completely to try and stay out of redline. only downfall is dealer is hour an half away one way so this time i asked to pay to ship prop back and they ship me the other.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, geeviam said:

That is a big jump in rpm.  Almost seems like the 20 pitch was a mis-labeled 22 pitch.  Oh well, sounds like Fsu11 is about to have the boat dialed in soon with a 19 pitch.

got the 19 pitch on and its better but still not too impressed. I think at full throttle it would want to run around 6100 rpms so still not exact but running average 38-39mph, holeshot not too bad. Going to try calling ken at prop gods, kind of think the 14inch diameter prop isnt what i need.

• 6 months later...

After trying many props I finally found one I am happy with, I took Geeviams advice and started trying michigan wheels. I tried the apollo but it didnt handle great and I didn't see the right rpms for my boat, so I switched to a michigan wheel Ballistic 13 1/4 x 21 pitch 3 blade stainless and I went from 37-38mph to 45mph at 6050 rpms. A lot happier now that I gained a lot more top end, it could probably be worked on to make it a little better but its good enough for me out the box. Wanted to share this for anyone who might repower a 2001 redfisher 18 with a 115 suzuki

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 4:29 PM, Fsu11 said:

After trying many props I finally found one I am happy with, I took Geeviams advice and started trying michigan wheels. I tried the apollo but it didnt handle great and I didn't see the right rpms for my boat, so I switched to a michigan wheel Ballistic 13 1/4 x 21 pitch 3 blade stainless and I went from 37-38mph to 45mph at 6050 rpms. A lot happier now that I gained a lot more top end, it could probably be worked on to make it a little better but its good enough for me out the box. Wanted to share this for anyone who might repower a 2001 redfisher 18 with a 115 suzuki

Nice gain with the Ballistic!  The Ballistic has extra cup and rake for better grip and bow lift out of the box.  IMO, if its got good balance and is working well for you, I wouldn't send it to a prop shop - just go fishing.  😁

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, geeviam said:

Nice gain with the Ballistic!  The Ballistic has extra cup and rake for better grip and bow lift out of the box.  IMO, if its got good balance and is working well for you, I wouldn't send it to a prop shop - just go fishing.  😁

yep i most likely wont do anything to it, its preforming pretty well and cant wait to get out there to try it again before i sell my old prop