1988 Maverick MA 18.5

Maverick88

• Maverick88 changed the title to 1988 Maverick MA 18.5

I do have another question that has been bothering me, I have had three people tell me that I should remove my old aluminum gas tank, even though it may not be leaking yet, for it's only a matter of time because its over 30 year old.  The factory advise me not to remove the deck cap from hull, but to simply cut the deck, remove and replace tank.   I was told to replace with fiberglass tank.  I do not feel comfortable cutting and reglassing the deck because of where I live, access to materials for such a job is difficult.

With that 115 merc, propped right, I would guess you will see 40-43 mph, maybe a little less with a full load and heavy passenger.   But agree, I wouldn't shy away from a 115 for that year hull.   However, it may limit you on how much weight you want to put on the boat (Power poles, jack plates, etc), but I doubt it will make much difference.

As for the gas tank, I tend to disagree.   I would accept the fact that you will probably have to do it eventually, but my 87 tank was in the front of the hull and was mounted higher than the bilge (unlike my 2000).   It had an aluminum tank and I assume it was original.   If yours isn't leaking yet, why replace it?   it may have a week, it may have 10 years.   I would go ahead and find a good shop, start pricing it out, get your plan together, then use the time to save up for the job and have it done right.   

If the boat is new to you, enjoy it for awhile, see how you like it.  You may find that, when it's time for the tank replacement, you want to go big and re-gel problem areas at the same time.  If you don't like the boat, you may just sell it with the cost of a tank replacement built into the price.   

JMO.

• 2 months later...