OFX4 and 2200 TRS

TRosson

Just tried an OFX4, 18P, today per Marcus's recommendation. Incredible prop. But at WOT I couldn't get my RPMs beyond 5400 range with a lighter than normal average load for me (just me on boat with 90 % full tank, 200 SHO, T-top, 4 batts, trolling motor, Power pole, empty ice chests, and other gear). I usually fish with 3 other guys on boat with full ice chests and 1/2 tank of gas.

If you're running an OFX4, would like to hear what your set up is. Much thanks.

My 250 SHO spins a Yamaha 21 Pro 3 blade to 6,100 and I have seen 62 mph in perfect conditions. 4 mpg at 40 mph. Holeshot planes off in a boat length. Can't make it loose bite in a hard turn......but for some reason people seem to think a Yamaha brand 3 blade prop cannot work on a 22 Pathfinder. I've never found or heard of a prop that can out perform the 21 pro on a 22 TRS with 250 SHO

I did a couple of regimented tests. Started jack plate at lowest and found best rpms and speed at that setting at WOT. Stopped and raised jack plate one inch, taking readings on trim, rpms, and speed again. Continued that process. Did notice that ride was very good at 3 on jack plate with little trimmed out. Water pressure good throughout. I've never had problem with good rpm range with my last prop. Am I missing something re ECM?

I've been using a Saltwater Series II, 3 blade Yamaha. I like it but was having porpoising problems and wanted more stern lift and slower plaining speeds. So I tried an OFX4. My SS II is properly propped to my boat on rpms, holeshot, load, etc. I don't care much about speed, however. OFX4 solved purpoising problem today.

200 SHO's are hard to prop because the ECM shuts them down after 4800 rpm. Since the OFX4 like to run high in the water column, did you run your jack plate up as your rpm increased?

Interested to know what you mean by the ECM shuts them down after 4800?

Not that it compares, but I ran an OFX4 20p on my 2200 with 200 Vmax 2 stroke. 54mph at 5600rpm, great holeshot.

I have a couple of Friends that have 200 SHO's and their experience is that the ECM allows 250 hp for your hole shot but then chokes the motor down at higher rpm compared to the 250. This makes propping the engine very difficult.

I have seen ads from people that will reflash the ECM to 250 hp. But I don't have any experience regarding how successful they were.

It seems the SHO motors run great but the ECM controls the hp.

A couple of things.......

I spent 6 months working with Marcus on my 22te and tried at least 6 props with him and according to the numbers a 16 pitch would let the motor turn 6000 light but settled on the 17.

The ECM does control the hp on the sho motors and yes you can flash to 200 to make it 250 if you want. I have the name of the company some where if some one wants it but the stock ECM will jet you rev beyond 6000 with the right prop. The other option is just buy a 250hp ECM from Yamaha.

I ran an OFX 4 blade 17 pitch and turned 5600 and 51 mph but got better midrange performance and better economy when I switched to the Merc rev 4 17 pitch. I think I now run 50 pretty loaded. Like the merc but it does run lower than the OX.

I have a couple of Friends that have 200 SHO's and their experience is that the ECM allows 250 hp for your hole shot but then chokes the motor down at higher rpm compared to the 250. This makes propping the engine very difficult.

I have seen ads from people that will reflash the ECM to 250 hp. But I don't have any experience regarding how successful they were.

It seems the SHO motors run great but the ECM controls the hp.

Ok that makes sense. Your previous post made it sound like it the most rpm you could get was 4800.

I can turn a 21' OFX 4 blade up to 6100 with a lighter load,

with a heavier load I am in the 56-5700 range. That is with the jack plate at 3 and the engine trimmed out. Best boat speed I have seen is 62 with no T-top in perfect conditions. There was someone previously on the forum who had a 200 and was saying they could get 53 out of the boat. Good luck but I would think you could more then a 16' on that setup.

Thanks for the responses. I suspect my T-top is adding substantial drag.

Headhunter, Do you have a T-top on your TE? I might ask Marcus how a 16p will work.

I ran an OFX 17 4 bl ported 3/8 on a standard 22v.

Ran great 150 f stroke...best on 3 on the JP, WOT only 43mph,but, good hole shot and would rev up to 58-6K rpms...

Great grip on turns with the JP.

Dc

You girls'n'boys are spot-on, gang!!! The OFX4 likes a combination of jackplate elevation and trim,...and relatively less trim that you might expect, at that.

Since no two boats, motors, props, drivers, conditions, etc. are exactly alike, there will always some variance in what works best for everyone's individual application, so running your own REGIMENTED test is always the best plan of attack. I say, regimented, because just as in any test, you need to keep one thing static, while changing the other, in order to know exactly what is making the change in your results. If you simply go out and randomly jack'n'trim'n'trim'n'jack all over the place, not only, will have difficulty finding all the possible combinations of jack and trim, but worse still, you'll have difficulty repeating them, as well. I know it sounds like a pain, but heck, drivin'n'playin' is half the fun, right?!?!?

I'm afraid nuthin's cut'n'dried in the wonderful world o' propellers, m'friends, and it's why we always say, "It ain't rocket science,...it's harder!!! :o There are just too many stinkin' variables." :P

Thank you very much, gang!!!! Y'all ROCK!!!!!!! :D

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :cool:

I am now running The OFX4 18p 3/8 port. The stern lift is exceptional compared to my NOW three blade Yamaha HS4 21p. After having my cavitation plate on my lower unit repaired (AIM Welding did an outstanding job) and repainting, I contacted Marcus and followed has suggestion. I am on average 4 mph faster. At full trim I can get right to 6000 rpm. All my playing was full of fuel, batteries, gear, etc......Just like I fish the boat leaving the dock. The hole shot is a boat and a half, wcich is better than my former HS4. I liked the HS4 and was going to replace it. It was on back order for I was told 90 days. I am Happy with OFX4. Thank You Marcus!!!! Does not mean I will not continue to test though. Always looking for the peak to get the edge.

TRosson, My OFX4 18p needs trim on my 2200 trs with the 10" jackplate setback and the 200 SHO to get to 6000 rpm. Could easliy use The OFX4 17p on my setup. I just like to throw water everywhere and would probably hit the rev limiter with the 17. LOL. Where I fish its all about draft and hole shot. The OFX4 picks up the stern and can handle lots of trim and jack plate. Perfect for my needs.

Thanks. I have a feeling my T-top (non-Pathfinder) makes my boat different. I also wasn't testing in ideal conditions. In Rockport, TX, where my boat is located, the SE winds were blowing 12-15 on Saturday. I wasn't going directly into the wind, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting to know my new to me 2007 2200V with

the F150. I have it in Stuart, FL where it is being extensively upgraded. But it came with the Reliance 13 3/4 x 19 Yamaha prop that would catch air with just a little trim (top speed, 47mph at 5500 rpms, full fuel, light load with just me). One of the upgrades is a jack plate, which I suspect will be of no use when I get the boat back....because of blow out. I was wondering if you have a jack plate, and if so, what prop are you running, and what kind of performance are you getting?

Wanaflatsfish,

I watched your video on the PT website. In that video, you said top speed was 47.3 mph at 6000 rpms. What happened, since in your post, you said

top speed was 43 mph? What happened to your speed and top rpms since the video?

Archived