The new 21 Redfisher……..

redzone1

They look amazing, absolutely love the deck space and fit/finish... However, I think the difficult part in regards to that hull is that there's a fairly small demographic of anglers who appreciate it enough to pay the price. For the vast majority of people, they would rather have a bay boat for their family that basically has the same draft/speed, etc but with more freeboard and cockpit space. The husband/dad fisherman would probably prefer the deck space on the 21 RF, but he's going to lose that battle with his wife and he's "okay" with the bay boat as well. In addition, the cult-like followers of the 21 Maverick and 21 Redfisher of prior years are comparing their older/cheaper models to this new boat. They want the new one to be better and the reality is it's a very expensive boat and doesn't really do anything better than an older 21 Maverick. For the money, I would rather have a $40-50k 21 Maverick and a $20-30k HPX. I'm a big fan of MBG products, especially the 21 Maverick and 23 Pathfinder HPS... but the market has just priced me right out of anything new. I'd consider one in the $50k range, but $70-90k is just absurd and the same goes for any single engine bay boat which is why I have an older model 21 Redfisher now. 

Just my 2 cents.

Josh B.

I think the New RF 21 is the better choice for a near-shore fishing boat, than a bay boat in the same 21 foot size.  It has massive storage capacity, walk around gunwales, and plenty of deck space for multiple anglers to fish comfortably.  The 15 degree deadrise hull with a pad on the keel is the right combination for soft ride and performance.  All that said, if a larger boat is needed for the wife and family, a bay boat becomes the better choice.  Not for me though.  I'm with Josh on how the prices of boats, especially new boats, have risen beyond the limits of my budget.  $80K and higher boats are for a select few, and I'm not one of them.

I climbed all over one about 6 months ago. Massive amounts of storage and honestly has a ton of cockpit space. Freeboard is similar to the pathfinders. In my opinion the consoles on a lot of bay boats are way to big and take up half the cockpit. Seems bigger than the 23hps when you’re standing in it. I talked to a guy at the car wash with one and he said it rode like a dream and he fishes 4 out of it comfortably all the time. I too would be all about one but can’t stomach the $80k price tag when I have a paid for 18MA in the driveway. Hoping to possibly get in a used one in 4-5 years. 

Yea fortunately we have a $500 sales tax cap on boats up here in SC. My dealer said 80-85k depending on options with the 250 sho. That was 6 months ago though so I’m sure like everything else the price has increased. BTW if your dealer is quoting you MSRP like on the website than they are robbing you. My salesman said he hates they even list that price. Scares people out of even considering a new boat. 

My father picked up his new 21 Redfisher about 2 months ago.  His build was:

• 250 SHO 
  • Twin 10ft Powerpoles
  • Boarding platform
  • 36 Volt Minn Kota with Lithium Batteries
  • Custom oversized bimini
  • Backrest/cushions
  • Added flush mount rod/cup holders (2 forward, 2 mid, 2 rear corners)

He is retired and wanted a large stable platform to fish from with plenty of cockpit space.  He had a 18 Redfisher and this boat is so much larger/more stable than that.  Tons of storage (he is a pack rat) and fast enough for him.  The bimini is setup so that it covers the entire rear deck and forward to the steering wheel, you cans still use the rod holders on the console sides, it can also slide forward to cover the entire cockpit.  Did not go with the poling platform as it took up space and its only use was a better viewing platform while at rest, you are not going to pole this boat for very long even if you decided to.  We fish Tampa Bay and he may opt to have a "hoop" fabricated/installed that goes just infront of the engine which would have rod holders/cutting board/bucket holder and would act as a hand hold as well.  He will need something to grab onto when fishing Egmont/Skyway when the weather isn't ideal.  

We currently have 22 hours on the boat and it is getting the 20 hour service right now.  Overall, thus far the boat is exactly what he wanted, very fishable and very stable, it is a very big flats boat.  My dad also wanted the flats boat for lower maintenance, and this rig is very easy to clean/upkeep thus far and the scuppers work great.  The boat has a great ride and sitting so far back allows the front of the boat to do the work and maintain a great ride.  The 250 is plenty of engine for the boat as it hits low-mid 60's and gets on plane effortlessly.  It sits very high in the water which is really nice vs. the prior 18 Redfisher.  The lithium batteries save a bunch of weight and hold a charge forever.  Using the main livewell is some what of an art that we need to spend more time with.  Loading it up with white bait, there is plenty of flow coming in but the drain seems to clog easy and cannot keep up.  I find myself choking off the inlet which ends up killing bait.  I may come up with a better solution for that.  The backrests are a little bit of a pain in the butt to install but that problem will go away when we keep it on the lift, under cover.  I do not like the fact that if you have the jackplate down, you can damage your motor and rigging by trimming the engine all the way forward.  I think I would prefer to have a shaft length a little longer so that you wouldn't have to deal with that.

During the build process there were some differences from the initial models of latest 21 Redfisher.  They have a box in the floor of the front hatch where the batteries were stored.  They said the boat would ride better with that weight farther back so our three lithium batteries and the charger are in the console.  Overall, very happy with the boat.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, dan the man said:

Well

I just priced one loaded

white 300 Yam ,custom Color trailer, the works all options

$118,000

Goodness!! Where are you located if you don’t mind me asking? Only thing that will correct this is a substantial interest rate increase. As long as people can mortgage boats you can’t even sleep on, the price will keep increasing. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 5:25 PM, linesider 159 said:

Out of curiosity how much was it back then? 45?

2004, when I was a still young... ha ha... I remember stopping at Ingman and looking at a new 21 Redfisher. I had just got my first real job out of college and had a little money and no responsibilities I wanted to buy one. I remember seeing the price tag was right around $38k and I almost had a heart attack. No way was I going to pay that much money for a boat!!!! Good times.

Josh B.