90's 18.5/21.5 MA refit ?

BlackfinJeff

Been lurking around for a MA project, but not a total tear out.

Assuming a 30/25 year old build, if still 'original', would require a new transom and tank at a minimum?

I know this is a pretty general question, however at certain periods in a build cycle, the manufacturer may move away from wood, so was wondering how much wood would probably have to come out in a 90's production era?

Thanks for any guidance...just getting started on some research-

According to Skip and team, there has been no wood in the Maverick line since they acquired it in 1985 (ish).    Based on everything I've seen, the only reason you would need to address a transom issue is if the boat was abused.    Fuel tank - yes, very likely/probably, though some models have poly tanks which apparently have very long lifespans.   The biggest thing you will have to watch for is abuse - these boats are pretty tough, but 30 years is a lot of history, a lot of trailering, a lot of beating.   I would definitely check the stringers - poor trailer support can cause them to become delaminated from the bottom.   The 21's had a bad rep prior to 2003 ish (don't know the right year) for structural failures around the seachest.   Prior to 2003, the 18s box stringers were not connected to the transom, but I've only heard of 3 that ever had issues with stringer delam (and one was mine).   

They are great boats, but seem like they are getting harder and harder to find.   A few months ago, there were 5 out there all at once, but now we're back in a lull.   IN a few months, a few more will pop up, then it will go quiet again.   New boats are so ridiculously expensive that it's driving up the cost of these as well.   However, if you can find one, it will ruin you.   They really are something special.

Thanks for the info, I did find a thread on a project hull, mainly the stringer issue you mentioned. Pardon the nube question, what exactly is the 'sea chest'...?

Is this the 'coffin box' fuel tank enclosure area? I did read that due to the weight of the 4 stroke engines and big HP load that the stringers should be connected to the transom on a refit, of course "once your in there..." thru hulls and all hoses come out, then the wiring...

On 12/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, BlackfinJeff said:

Thanks for the info, I did find a thread on a project hull, mainly the stringer issue you mentioned. Pardon the nube question, what exactly is the 'sea chest'...?

Is this the 'coffin box' fuel tank enclosure area? I did read that due to the weight of the 4 stroke engines and big HP load that the stringers should be connected to the transom on a refit, of course "once your in there..." thru hulls and all hoses come out, then the wiring...

See my post on the Holy Ghost...

from what I found on the tank, anything in the range of 1990-97 should have a tank change...not hard, but, lots of cutting and fitting.

Take note, in todays crazy supply chain world....it could take you as much as 2 months for a new tank, parts are hard to find, and add 30 days to any estimate on getting something finished. if you are having a shop do itl

dc