1988 Maverick boat

I’m headed to Miami this weekend to look at buying a 1988 Maverick Master Angler that has been redone and has a 1997mercury 150 EFI on it. This is my first flats boat, I’m buy it for my 3 teenage kids to run around the creeks and river in Charleston SC. Just wanted any info on these older mavericks and if this is a good choice for a flats boat under $17,000k for 3 teenagers

What do you mean by "Redone"?

I believe the 1988 MA's were wooden transom.  So, be careful.

As well, if they have not changed the fuel tank and wiring you are looking at some serious $$$ - see my posts on my 1995 (The Holy Ghost) for what I had to do and mine was a 1995.

Forum Members whichwaysup has conducted some extensive work on his skiff.

The MA's are a great boat; however, unless you experienced in wiring, etc. you can get your self into a bit of a pickle with repairs - like serious as we say - BOAT - Break out another thousand.

Before you drive down to Miami, I would suggest you pay a surveyor (Marine) $250 to check out the boat or have the owner take it to a reputable skiff repair shop for an assessment.

I believe you might want to consider a 1806 Pathfinder if you can find one or even a 20' Pathfinder...it's not the "classic MA" but, it will perform and float very similar.

Other alternatives are a 2000 + yr Redfishes which might have a decent engine (F stroke) while low hours....the 1997 EFI will be a fuel and oil eater....

Just my thoughts...don't want to bust a bubble...just giving you some straight advice on a 30 year old skiff.

dc

Thanks for the nod, Dino.   

Al true, with one exception, there is no wood in the MAs after 85 according to the MBG folks.  

QQ your description of that boat sounds familiar.  Is it green by any chance?  A pretty one showed up here a couple years ago that was around that age and redone, but not sure of what had been done.   If so, it may be of interest why the seller didn’t hold onto it longer - there are a million legit reasons but short ownership can be a red flag too.   

feel free to reach out if you want, always happy to talk MA!!

Gus