How to remove leaning post?!?

civilized

Ok so I am trying to remove my leaning post so that I can have it powder coated. I removed the marching screws and tried mobilizing the frame of the leaning post and it won't BUDGE! Please help. That's some serious epoxy/glue they used I guess... How did any one else do theirs?

Ok, thank you. Does anyone know what to do when I replace it? I guess I should put some sort of 3M adhesive or something prior to installing the machine screws. I think there is something similar to 5200 that has an adhesive component to it. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks

I have never had much luck with the braid.

I would use judicious heat from a heat gun not a torch and heat the base and tube watching the fibergl***. Use a very thin spatula or thin putty knife and slide it gently as the heat works its magic. Do not force the knife but as you push it let it sit and the wedge action will work with the heat.

I've used the braid. It works, but it's a slow process getting it started. Using a sharp putty knife as suggested helps get you the clearance for the braid to work. I'm sure the heat gun would help too.

I used a putty knife and some PB Blaster to loosen the edges. When I finally got the braid under the edge it would cut the adhesive. Just be patient as it's likely to break a few times during the process.

The PB Blaster didn't seem to hurt the fibergl***. I used it to clean up the remaining old 5200 and everything looked great when done.

Just FYI... I removed mine a couple years ago to do some battery and wiring work in the console (so much easier to access this way).

When I re-installed I used some Lifecaulk, which is semi-permanent and more flexible. Between the screws and the caulk the post doesn't budge a millimeter, but when I want to remove it it's no big deal.

Archived