McDill air show?

mulligan

I've never watched it from the boat, however the problem watching it from the boat might be, they don't follow the runway. Of course they will take off and land on the runway but the show doesn't run in the direction of the runway. The show runs basically north and south.

I think it's a much better option than fighting the crowds on the base, and I think you'll see plenty of planes. You may miss some of the, so to say center stage stuff depending on how close to the shore you are.

Bring some binoculars and have a good time.

I have found the SE corner of the base is the best location, just the east side of the channel that goes to the MacDill beach. Remember the 1000' barrier will be VERY seriously patrolled by the MacDill security boats. I remember years ago we would take the grandkids and just go to the old docks on the east side of the base, tie up the boat and walk right in front of Central Command and go the air show.....thanks terrorist for making our lives so different (I used nice language)!!!

I've found that the best place to view from the water is right off the Bayshore gate. The off limits markers run right up to the shoreline there so you can get closer. Put in at Davis Islands or the Alafia River and it's a short run across the bay. I was a military brat growing up so I've seen air shows from Fl. to Hawaii

We are going on saturday, the 19th. In past years we have met up on the flat between picnic island jetty rocks and the Security pilings to the east. I think that area has a name but I am not sure what you call it. I think when you were able to go way back in that area it was called the community hole by the guides.

I looked at the place Bruce F. Mentions on the Bayshore side but have never been to that side. At either spot you are on the water so you are not directly over the action but if the weather is nice there is nothing better than hanging with friends for a day.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, Are Clan is heading out and parking east of the picnic island jetties like I mentioned earlier. Probably getting set up around 11;30-12 on the flat. Look for my boat in the signature and I will put my American flag in the rod holder on the poling platform to identify us.

Which side are you going to be on? I think BruceF is going to be out too but on the Bayshore side.

yea I saw it went from 40 to 50%. with wind as good as its supposed to be in the afternoon, I will be soaked anyways so that only leaves lightning to worry about.

Of coarse, I will check the forecast in the morning and make the ultimate decision...

Archived