Wahoo bite is HOT...

IzzyD

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

My goal in life is to catch one on a hewes! lol  I will do it

Nice catch, hope you had a little as sushi 

Thank you! Yes indeed we enjoyed the Wahoo four ways....3 different sushi styles and then fried Wahoo bites with Panko and sweet chili sauce for dipping.

When it's calm I see no reason why you can't go out on a Hewes. Remember that fishing for Wahoo is in relative shallow waters, not too far offshore.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

There are some insane wahoo videos on youtube down in Key west.  I mean insane!  1000's of wahoo. Boats coming back with 6-10 wahoo and big ones as well.

They're out there all year round but, are most abundant during the winter months. One key point is being out there lines in the water before first light.

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Great pics !!!

Wahoo on a Pathy....do you have reinforced rod holders ?   I would think they could be ripped out on the strike.

dc

Not high speed trolling as I feel the stress on the rod holders may be too much. Instead I'm fishing deep diving lures at 10 mph which do not put too much stress on the rod holders. Immediately upon strike I move the rod to the rod holder on the leaning post where I reel in until gaffing. So far, so good. No issues whatsoever with rod holders or leaning post all seems to be holding up really well.

Cheers,

Izzy

20 hours ago, IzzyD said:

Not high speed trolling as I feel the stress on the rod holders may be too much. Instead I'm fishing deep diving lures at 10 mph which do not put too much stress on the rod holders. Immediately upon strike I move the rod to the rod holder on the leaning post where I reel in until gaffing. So far, so good. No issues whatsoever with rod holders or leaning post all seems to be holding up really well.

Cheers,

Izzy

catch them up !!!

dc

Nice hoo.  I'm thinking about trying those plugs just north of there in Key Largo. I have been getting a couple livebaiting this year which is a lot of fun bc you can actually get the fight out of them too. When I have done those wahoo tourneys on other boats, it always feels like commercial fishing, just hauling them in without even knowing if they are on there, using 130s, then throwing them right in the box.. Shame.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 9:36 AM, lurch said:

Nice hoo.  I'm thinking about trying those plugs just north of there in Key Largo. I have been getting a couple livebaiting this year which is a lot of fun bc you can actually get the fight out of them too. When I have done those wahoo tourneys on other boats, it always feels like commercial fishing, just hauling them in without even knowing if they are on there, using 130s, then throwing them right in the box.. Shame.

I've had great success fishing the Nomads set in a 4 rod spread on other folks boats and my Pathy as well. But, you are 100% on point...once you get the hit you just reel like crazy until you gaff the fish. I fish 30's as that's all we truly need in the Keys when targeting Hoos.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, lurch said:

Picked up this guy a few days ago, slow trolling a live bonito in the keys. Not a giant but still a great few runs before the gaff. This was midday which is convenient. 

image.png.9bde964311f6217d0b7501f7c1c2705a.png

Really nice Hoo....Better than no Hoo at all! My all time favorite for sushi and sashimi also fry them up as bites with panko and then dip them in Thai Chili Sauce. *** it's 7:53 am and I'm in the mood for some Hoo.

Enjoy!