1999 MA 18.5

Wardolb

15 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Shoot, man, you are in my stomping grounds, I am just across the river.  That hull was made for the cape fear!!  

*** sure was. If I’m Fishing I’m always in the bald head creeks, Lower Dutchman, striking Island area. Really looking forward to getting onto some tarpon in the thorofare this summer. On a side note before I bought my boat I was researching Master Anglers and came across your stringer issues and when I went to check mine out the first thing I looked at was the stringers at the transom and to my surprise they are connected to the transom from the factory. My hull is a `99 so who knows… maybe some were connected and some weren’t for one reason or another. 

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Are your trim tabs recessed or external on the transom?  Thinking that may be the difference...

They were external. But a previous owner removed them… idk if I’m going to add them back or not haven’t really seen a need the boat jumps up on plane and I can raise and lower the bow pretty well with the motor trim. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wardolb said:

They were external. But a previous owner removed them… idk if I’m going to add them back or not haven’t really seen a need the boat jumps up on plane and I can raise and lower the bow pretty well with the motor trim. 

Interesting, that sounds like the missing piece of info.  They went to recessed tabs in 2000 and shortened the stringers to make room.   In 2003 they extended the stringers again.   The only boats with this issue (and it is rare) have been 2000 year models, and I am increasingly convinced that the primary cause is the trailer set up. A boat well supported in the stern with a keel roller, multiple bunks is unlikely to have the isse, but my trailer originally only had the two bunks under the stringers.  Because of the tabs, the bunks didn’t extend to the transom, and neither did the stringers, a recipe for problems with a boat that heavy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whichwaysup said:

Interesting, that sounds like the missing piece of info.  They went to recessed tabs in 2000 and shortened the stringers to make room.   In 2003 they extended the stringers again.   The only boats with this issue (and it is rare) have been 2000 year models, and I am increasingly convinced that the primary cause is the trailer set up. A boat well supported in the stern with a keel roller, multiple bunks is unlikely to have the isse, but my trailer originally only had the two bunks under the stringers.  Because of the tabs, the bunks didn’t extend to the transom, and neither did the stringers, a recipe for problems with a boat that heavy. 

Definitely makes sense. My trailer is the original torsion axle Continental it has two bunks that cradle the V all the way to the stern and two for the stringers that run all the way to the stern. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wardolb said:

Definitely makes sense. My trailer is the original torsion axle Continental it has two bunks that cradle the V all the way to the stern and two for the stringers that run all the way to the stern. 

Btw, I normally fish the upper part of the river for striper and reds, but have never explored the southern part. If there is an opportunity to compare notes, shoot me a pm. 

• Like 1