Trim Help on Redfisher

Klockness

Please forgive the rookie operator here. I have a 1995 Hewes Redfisher 18. I haven't been able to put much time on it yet so I'm still learning to operate it. It seems to me the trim doesn't do much on this boat. As I hit the throttle to get on plane the back is low, the front comes up then it planes out much like a b*** boat without hitting the trim at all. I make adjustments to the trim and it doesn't appear to do much. I don't have the gauges working so I need them for fine tuning. It this normal on this type of boat?

The reason I'm asking is I'm replacing the gauges and the trim gauge seems useless anyway much more so on this boat. I might get a voltmeter to fill the hole instead.

What you experience is pretty normal. You can put the tabs all the way down and throttle hard to get up on plane/out of the hole quicker and then raise them back up as needed. The real beauty of the tabs comes into play when you have chop. That hull will cut right through the chop with the tabs down/adjusted. If you have side chop, you can tickle one of them to keep you dry. Just my two cents.

Glad I'm not crazy. I've only got one of the trim tabs working but I'm loving the tabs. I'm going to try and get the other working after the gauges. This thing is going to nickle and dime me to death.

Less expensive than a new RF - call Lenco and they will ship direct or look on line...easy fix...

Check your wiring before you pull the tabs...many times the connection at the power is corroded where the TT wire and power come together....use a 12v battery...set near the wiring...strip the wiring and then touch the pos and neg..it should go woooorrrrr if working properly....if it does not, then you need a new actuator..if it does, it can then be the panel switches....

simple things before buying...trace the problem from front to back.

dc

I checked the switch first on the trim tab. It's good so I went to the back but the trim tabs are recessed in sponsons. I love that but there wasn't an easy way to check the wiring without removing the entire actuator. No connector the wires just go into a cord grip. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon. The front of the boat rides high and I'd love to bring it down especially when it's rough.

Archived