.40 Caliber Ammo for Sale

Bill Blanton

Sad story: I’ve owned a 1990-era .40 caliber Glock Model 23 for many years, carried it in my car, boat and sometimes on my person (I have a concealed permit). Since my eyes are aging along with the rest of me, I decided it needed a red dot sight.

Accordingly, I sent the slide to a firm out west that mills slides to accommodate red dots. Unfortunately, the package was opened in transit and the slide stolen. Insurance compensated me, but the parts shortage made it impossible to find a compatible Glock slide at anything like a reasonable price. For just a few dollars more, I could buy a brand new gat. So that’s what I did, switching to 9mm instead of .40 caliber with a new Glock Model 45.

So now, I have 170 rounds of .40 caliber ammo and no way to shoot them. Here’s the list:

— 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 180-grain Full Metal Jacket, which is great stuff for the range and plinking.

— 50 rounds of Winchester 180-grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point for personal defense.

— 20 rounds of Hornady 175-grain Critical Defense FlexLock Jacketed Hollow Point for personal defense.

Here is a breakdown of the price:

— 100 Sellier & Bellot FMJ: $58.00 (.58/round)

— 50 Winchester JHP:   $34.00 (.68/round)

— 20 Hornady Critical Defense JHP:   $25.00  (1.20/round)

Total for all three: $117.00 plus $20 for shipping (ammo is heavy). I prefer to sell the whole batch at once. If you follow ammo prices and availability at all, you know this is a hell of a deal.

Don’t feel bad for the old Glock that lost its slide. Fortunately, I had previously ordered a .22 conversion kit for that gun, so now it’s a full-time Glock 23/rimfire.

Ammo.thumb.jpg.1562d52052ac695bcb52b920bf84765e.jpg

Bullets.thumb.jpg.7acd66f2dc28fe2bae7f8f78e75a6581.jpg

Left to right: Sellier & Bellot FMJ, Winchester JHP, Hornady Critical Defense JHP.