16' Hewes Bonefisher 87 Repower ????

Lvnspeed

I am looking at used 4 strokes and I came across a good deal for a 2005 60 HP four stroke Mercury. The specs say it weighs 260lbs, thats lighter than a F70. My question is will the 60hp (10 less than the F70) work well on this hull? Im not looking for speed. Fuel consumption is not a big deal either.

I have a manual jack plate with 6" set back 

most of my fishing will be in canals, bays with oyster bars, very very little flats. 90% of the time it will be 1-2 people on the boat. 

Thanks for the help

22 hours ago, Lvnspeed said:

I am looking at used 4 strokes and I came across a good deal for a 2005 60 HP four stroke Mercury. The specs say it weighs 260lbs, thats lighter than a F70. My question is will the 60hp (10 less than the F70) work well on this hull? Im not looking for speed. Fuel consumption is not a big deal either.

I have a manual jack plate with 6" set back 

most of my fishing will be in canals, bays with oyster bars, very very little flats. 90% of the time it will be 1-2 people on the boat. 

Thanks for the help

what is wrong with the F70?'

I would have it rebuilt before I buy something unknown ?

dc

On 2/2/2022 at 9:00 AM, Lvnspeed said:

The specs say it weighs 260lbs, thats lighter than a F70

The F70 is 253 LBS.  I would buy a new Mercury 4-stroke 60 in a New York Minute.  But I don't know much about the 2005 model.  If it checks out ok (compression, starts easily, pumps water, etc.) and you think it's a good deal for you, go for it.  I have to say though, IMO the Yamaha F70 is the finest motor in its horsepower/weight class, period.

8 hours ago, Lvnspeed said:

I dont have an F70 or any engine for that matter. I am trying to figure out my options

The BF's were built for the old 2 smokers.....see if you can find a 90 Yamaha that's been taken care of or rebuilt....they run forever.

I have a 115 1995 yamadog....runs like the day it was built....I use only OEM parts and Yamadog oil.

I don't run it hard......average rpms during the day is normally 4500 to 5K and oil is changed on a regular basis for the lower unit.

DC

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 94 tournament bonefishes that I recently repowered with F70.  I would not go to a 60hp.   70 is a bit underpowered though I am plenty happy with it as I get top end 37mph, decent hole shot not too far off from my original 90, wonderful milage, quiet and not as wet.  I am very happy with it as boat balances well just as it was designed and scuppers are not flooded.  Going up in HP means 100lbs more weight and the balance changes.  Remember it is a small boat.  Am happy with my 70 but only 10hrs on it so far.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:31 AM, DBKEYS said:

I have a 94 tournament bonefishes that I recently repowered with F70.  I would not go to a 60hp.   70 is a bit underpowered though I am plenty happy with it as I get top end 37mph, decent hole shot not too far off from my original 90, wonderful milage, quiet and not as wet.  I am very happy with it as boat balances well just as it was designed and scuppers are not flooded.  Going up in HP means 100lbs more weight and the balance changes.  Remember it is a small boat.  Am happy with my 70 but only 10hrs on it so far.

DBKEYS - What prop do you have on it, do you have any other general numbers like speeds, gph, mpg at what RPMs.  

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Sounds like a great deal. Geviam is the man when it comes to props. Shoot him a message

Thanks Shallowminded6!  Congrats Lvnspeed on a great price for the motor!  I wouldn't spend a fortune on a stainless prop until you know for sure, the size prop that will be best for your setup.  The Mercury Spitfire (Mercalloy - aluminum) 4-blade is close in performance to the stainless model.  It comes with the exact hub kit you would need for your motor as well.  This is just an estimate because I don't know the actual weight of this Bonefisher.  My guess is you need the 13 pitch CT model, but you may get away with using the 15 pitch model if the 13 pitch reaches the rev limit.  You will want your Merc 60 to get as close to 6000 RPM as possible at WOT, without going above it.

Spitfire Pontoon (13.8 x 13") MERCURY RH Propeller, 48-8M8026570

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/product/28777/spitfire-pontoon-13-8-x-13-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m8026570

Spitfire (13.4 x 15") MERCURY RH Propeller, 48-8M8026580

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/product/28778/spitfire-13-4-x-15-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m8026580

Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, geeviam said:

Thanks Shallowminded6!  Congrats Lvnspeed on a great price for the motor!  I wouldn't spend a fortune on a stainless prop until you know for sure, the size prop that will be best for your setup.  The Mercury Spitfire (Mercalloy - aluminum) 4-blade is close in performance to the stainless model.  It comes with the exact hub kit you would need for your motor as well.  This is just an estimate because I don't know the actual weight of this Bonefisher.  My guess is you need the 13 pitch CT model, but you may get away with using the 15 pitch model if the 13 pitch reaches the rev limit.  You will want your Merc 60 to get as close to 6000 RPM as possible at WOT, without going above it.

Spitfire Pontoon (13.8 x 13") MERCURY RH Propeller, 48-8M8026570

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/product/28777/spitfire-pontoon-13-8-x-13-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m8026570

Spitfire (13.4 x 15") MERCURY RH Propeller, 48-8M8026580

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/product/28778/spitfire-13-4-x-15-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m8026580

Good luck!!

Thank you very much for your help. Ill let you know what I come up with I think Im going to start with the 15 and see what happens. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...