45 Truck and Trailers @ Outdoor Resorts - Enough Said

I really need to retire ASAP and end the weekend fishing....

With 45 (I counted at (400PM) as we left, plus add most likely another 30 + at other locations....while launching I saw more 24 and 26 bay boats than I've ever seen in my life...

Well, it was a boat fest...

Had numerous idiots running within 100 yards of me when we were sitting on a point...

Maybe it's the pressure, maybe it's wanky water temps...the water went from 68 to 78 during the day....but, we struggled....

I think this will be my last weekend for quite a while....the cost of going over and fishing is just becoming too frustrating.

DC

• Like 1

I have been retired for 3 1/2 years now.  I only fish on weekends now.  Even weekends have a lot of people out, but it is much better than weekends.

With COVID there has been an explosion in boat ownership and fishing.  I believe the fishery managements in the states need to get on the ball and look at reducing the take limits as recreational fishing has a much bigger impact on fish stocks with this significant increase in fishing pressure.

Could have been a Club outing or just the really good weather this weekend ???  It is winter time and that always increases the boat count in the Glades. That is why I love summer, the bugs keep the people away.

We were out a couple weekends ago and working a creek opening. No less than four boats came around the bend and pulled in, it was like a cartoon. We just waved, said hello and moved on. Wasn't like that spot was full of fish. 

Locating the fish with the constant changing barometer and water temps in winter is challenging and the crowds do not help. 

Problem in my favorite location is dealing with traffic during the week or less traffic and a lot of fishing pressure on the weekends. 

I DO love fishing during during the week!!

4 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Could have been a Club outing or just the really good weather this weekend ???

Remember,

it's been blowing for two weeks....seems like everything there is a break in the weather....it's a rush to the ramp...

As well, most of the boats I'm seeing have either a lowrance or SIMRAD....seems the guys at FMT may have completely and dramatically changed the entire fishing scene....

People used to be "afraid" of Chokoloskee...due to all the oyster bars and shallows......now, it's just follow the "yellow book road"....errrr....red line....

let's see....it's just that heading over at 0300...

Rec Fuel now going to 4.40 at the Circle K @ 20 gallons....20 gallons in the truck....ramp $25.00....shrimp,ice, food = $75...tackle $20-25 and you are looking at $250 for a day on the water....now, it's wonderful to be out in the glades....but, seems like things have just changed over the last 10-12 months....

Maybe it's time to sell the Ghost and get a 25 Dusky and just enjoy weekend sandbars :)

dc

We came in from Islamorada.  Ran through FL Bay to Flamingo to pick up our permit and then straight to Rogers.  We had Chickee mates from Ft Myers staying on the adjacent platform.  They were running a MA21 and HPX 17.  Mostly fly fishing.  Enjoyed their company.  Was lots of funny conversations between the two sides.  

We had 6 in our group.  Two showed up a different night so we were all on the same Chickee.  The other two boats came from Choko Island Park.  We didn’t see many boats between Broad and LM5 but there was a decent amount of boats around Flamingo and of course a ton of traffic around Islamorada.  

Fishing has been slow and the weather / water quality is not optimal .

If I did not have work to do , on the trapper shack , I would not fish at all .

We have been waiting for an opening , to camp , but they are a month out . 😞

We have been lucky , when we do get out , but thats mostly luck and TOW.

On a positive note , the fish , are in the back , so all those bay boats are just sight seeing in my book .

Everglades Seafood Fest  this weekend .

FYI !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

Fishing has been relatively good the past week within 5 miles of Choko. Trout, reds, sheepshead. Snook here & there. Beaches & islands, no backcountry. 

Funny to see 15” screens on 17’ skiffs. What did you expect was gona happen when fmt became popular? I’d have to dig deep around my fish camp to find my old gps. I think its a Garmin. 

Fishing weekends is great, especially in winter…..a few hours before sunset when all the foreigners are gone! Try adjusting the times you fish on weekends until you retire. 

The grind of being a weekend warrior will certainly get worse. If I didn’t live in Choko then I’d hire a guide to fish weekdays. Post pics of your sandbar trips so we can see what we’re missing! 😃 

• Like 2

I also went out that weekend to flamingo with my cousin on his gheenoe to give the pathy a break... absolutely skunked which hasn't happened to us in while. Can't remember the last time I saw that many people in the park. I try and stay away from the weekends as much as possible but sometimes the itch to get out on the water is too much... 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, conocean said:

Fishing has been relatively good the past week within 5 miles of Choko. Trout, reds, sheepshead. Snook here & there. Beaches & islands, no backcountry. 

Funny to see 15” screens on 17’ skiffs. What did you expect was gona happen when fmt became popular? I’d have to dig deep around my fish camp to find my old gps. I think its a Garmin. 

Fishing weekends is great, especially in winter…..a few hours before sunset when all the foreigners are gone! Try adjusting the times you fish on weekends until you retire. 

The grind of being a weekend warrior will certainly get worse. If I didn’t live in Choko then I’d hire a guide to fish weekdays. Post pics of your sandbar trips so we can see what we’re missing! 😃 

I know it's a small island but did you happen to know a Kenny and Donna Orner?