MA 18.5 Trim tab/jackplate replacement

HenrysCreek

Afternoon all.  First time poster here.  I'm looking at buying a late 90's MA 18.5 that's in nice shape for it's age, but has a few gremlins that need to be addressed.  
The previous owner cut the wire to the jack plate, which is no longer working.  No idea if reconnecting the wiring will make it work, so I'm going with worse case - that it needs to be replaced.  Same can be said for the trim tabs.

Buying new ones isn't a big deal, but I'm concerned about access to the transom area for thru-bolting and pulling wires.

Has anyone replaced theirs and how big a deal is it?  Thanks.

PS:  Cap has been pulled and the tank was replaced, according to the current owner.

For trim tabs, access is needed on inside of transom.  The old wires are most likely secured so you will not be able to cut them to use as a pull through and you may have to leave some of it behind. Also the holes in the transom are only large enough to pull wire through, so trying to attach old&new wires together for pulling wire may not work anyway.  Although I did the replacement on a Hewes, the issue is the same.  In the back two wells you will have to drill an access hole.  I used a 4 1/2” hole saw and purchased two access hole covers that had rubber rings so that the one well could still be used as a release well. Make sure to use below waterline sealant on all screw holes and around wire going through transom.  Do the same with the access hole covers. You can pull wires all the way to console, but it is easier to cut and splice in new with old wires in the bilge area - if you are able to use original switch. There are only two color coded wires to deal with, just match old with new.  Use shrink tubing and use two pieces - a shorter one to cover splice and a longer one on top of that to seal out any chance of water.  If you have it, liquid wire sealant works, but Tubing is thicker and has some flexibility.

• Thanks 1