Flamingo Winds

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I could not find it. I will be going to Flamingo this month for the first time. I would like to fish the outside and the mouth of the rivers. Is it better to fish on a NE wind in that area or does it matter as long as it’s not blowing hard? Any help would be great, thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Yazer said:

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I could not find it. I will be going to Flamingo this month for the first time. I would like to fish the outside and the mouth of the rivers. Is it better to fish on a NE wind in that area or does it matter as long as it’s not blowing hard? Any help would be great, thanks. 

If you are fishing "Out Front" for the "first time" be sure you know where you are going. You can get "stuck like chuck" in a hurry.  This time of year it is never easy to read the water depth in the open. Even if the wind is light, the fronts are coming through and the water clarity seldom has time to get good. 

When you say the Mouth of the Rivers makes me think you are referring to the West coast. Shark and Little Shark Rivers etc...We normally access the Rivers by launching on the "Inside" and running through WhiteWater Bay. No worries for getting stuck in the mud there unless you get to close to some of the islands, but again for the "first time" it is good if you know where you are and were you are going. 

Wind direction always determines how and where we fish. 

Sorry, Your question was kind of broad.

2 hours ago, Yazer said:

need more info...

What type of boat?

what is your experience ?

what GPS?  Do you have a FMT chip?

Do you like fried chicken ?  most important question....answer and you will know why :)

DC

Sorry guys I know it was a broad question. I've owned boats my whole adult life. Just new to inshore and flats fishing. I have a  92 Maverick Deluxe with a 115 Suzuki, running Simrad nss12 evo3 with FMT. What I really wanted to know is if it's not worth going out if the wind is blowing from a certain direction in Flamingo. I noticed some post saying that with the negative tides and winds some flats go completely dry. I just wanted to know what wind direction would cause that and if it's still worth going? BTW thanks for all the replies. I've been lurking for a while just never posted anything.   

11 hours ago, Yazer said:

Sorry guys I know it was a broad question. I've owned boats my whole adult life. Just new to inshore and flats fishing. I have a  92 Maverick Deluxe with a 115 Suzuki, running Simrad nss12 evo3 with FMT. What I really wanted to know is if it's not worth going out if the wind is blowing from a certain direction in Flamingo. I noticed some post saying that with the negative tides and winds some flats go completely dry. I just wanted to know what wind direction would cause that and if it's still worth going? BTW thanks for all the replies. I've been lurking for a while just never posted anything.   

"with the negative tides and winds some flats go completely dry"

That is a very real concern in the Ten Thousand island area. Not so much when launching at Flamingo. Any wind with an East in it, above 15 knots will make things difficult on the "Outside" and around the Capes.  Then White Water Bay would be a good alternative. 

Honestly, unless you are very familiar fishing that area the wind will hinder your fishing but It is always Good to get down the the Glades. 

On 2/4/22 we came around the Cape in a fully loaded 20' Pathfinder.  It was sporty.  I think we were running with a 15kt NE wind.  We were fine until about the Middle Cape then it started to get a little fun.  We were really heavy with full tank of fuel (topped at Flamingo) 50 gal of extra fuel in front of CC cooler, camping box on front deck, cooler full of drinks and ice.  Had to come off plane to re-tie a few things and the pucker factor from watching the bow about bury while we were idling was intense.  On plane we were fine.  Seemed like it eased up around Highland point.  Was glad to hit the mouth of Broad.  

Guess it all depends on what your thresholds are.  I don't like the beating and banging but when you are visiting the area and don't get to wait until you have the ideal conditions, do you sit at the house stare at the water or do you plow through? 

Thank you all for the great replies. I was assuming the area would be protected from the land in NE wind. It never dawned on me the Glades being as flat as they are don't protect much. I live in Homestead so I have the luxury of being able to wait for ideal conditions and it looks like thats what I'll do. I will try to explore one small area at a time and with any luck I will have some trips worthy of posting on here. Again thank you all, this is a wonderful community and a great resource.  

On 2/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, jh141 said:

We nick named that area of Florida Bay off Northwest Cape the Little Bering Sea. It is an area of convergence and can really be intense. Your ok if you stay close to the beach. 

I love that you guys made that Run from the Keys Rubble, Sounds like fun.

The run from Founders Park was fine.  Didn't take a ton of time or fuel to get to Flamingo.  Just made more sense to go ahead and make the run by boat rather than trailering (or it seemed like a good idea anyway).  I wouldn't hesitate to run that again even if just fishing for a day.  

I was curious if a close beach run would be better than running out where we did.   

There are a number of routes to Flamingo from the upper Keys. 
The north route goes up closer to the mainland (see shallow channels) Crocodile drag over then to dump Keys.. 

The middle routes are thru Jimmy channel and the idle Twisty mile.. 

The south routes from Islamorada cross twin Key Bank in a couple places, then past little Rabbit.. and around the outside to Clive and the banks.. 

There are some shortcuts if the wind howls to cheat the chop.. 

So pretty to explore and map new routes on the way to the fishin spots.. FMT chip is so helpful.. 

Gas becomes a concern if you run past Flamingo to the Cape &  East Cape channel, Tho.

MM

My Bro-in-Law ran the inside route a few weeks before we got there in his 21-MA.  He said it was very easy run.  Clearly marked and no problems.  He's a map guy and didn't have any waypoints to go with so no electronics other than to map a new trail.

Here is our route.  This is a great little map that calls out the cuts.  Red highlight shows route to Flamingo to get fuel and camping permit.  Orange route is our return more to the outside.  Black route was just a little joy ride and exploring in the middle.  

What typically happens in those channels when you are on plane and meet another boat?  Clearly the no idle channels you are off plane and easy to pass.  I can see some of those being a cluster if someone enters from one side while someone else is coming from the other with both on plane and having to pass.  

1535755676_FloridaBayMap.thumb.JPG.d96b4eb1465c3e0e80ad2a8f0d938926.JPG

I have stopped many times before entering a "few" of the interior cuts and let an oncoming boat come through, The bigger ones like at Rabbit Key or Iron Pipe we just wave and go on by.

Dump Key Was One I always made sure I was alone. Being in a 2200 I was a bit wider than the tech skiffs.

I once met a famous guide head on in Avocado Creek and we were both on plane. Good thing I heard him coming, slowed a bunch, got very tight to the bank and waved him to go on by. He went by  ( inches ) and all was well. It was my fault, un written deal use to be come in Avocado Creek and leave via North Prong. It was during the week and I was thinking what are the chances. Talk about Pucker.....

On 2/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, jh141 said:

We nick named that area of Florida Bay off Northwest Cape the Little Bering Sea. It is an area of convergence and can really be intense. Your ok if you stay close to the beach. 

Been there....

Long story short....my buddy said he wanted to run from Islamorada to Shark in his 22 Pathy.....I told him, listen, heading over it will be fine as the winds were to pick up in the PM but, in the afternoon, with a 15-20 mph east wind, I told him, you are going to get the beating of your life when we round the Cape....we fished all morning up in the trees and around the shark.....about 2 pm, I look up and I see the trees beginning to move a good bit.....I tell him, get ready .........he laughed, what happened to you old man....you used to be tough.....I told him, Yep...but, now I'm smart...I sat down on a throw pad on the deck and grabbed the rocket launcher seat...put my head down and held on... :) 

As we round the end of the Cape it begins to build....and once we turn East...he plows the Pathfinder into a massive roller and "crack goes the trolling motor"....we slowed up and crawled along at a safe speed for about 30 minutes....

Needless to say, we were lucky, and the tide was super high, we ran the beach (Garmin had us on land the entire way).....once we hit Flamingo....we were able to run it WOT him across the bay as we ran the shallows and the channels with some islands acting as wind barriers and the Pathy ate the chop....we ran from Islamorada to Shark in about 90 minutes in the am....it took us over 2.5 hours to return.....not fun.

Thus why we see many a sunken skiff during the winter tides and storms on the Cape for the campers....

dc

• Like 1

Good pointers guys !

In the warm months, big thunderstorms make up right over the Cape. You have to watch closely and get out before it breaks loose. Good rain gear stowed cuz the rain feels freezing in the dead of summer. 
Always know where you are visually and look backwards as you travel.  If your GPS craps, you need to be able to get back.. 

And please, Please, please !!

Give the guides a wide berth when they are staked out fly fishing. 

The Park is gorgeous and precious. Enjoy it ! 
Marc

On 2/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, Moderator said:

Good pointers guys !

In the warm months, big thunderstorms make up right over the Cape. You have to watch closely and get out before it breaks loose. Good rain gear stowed cuz the rain feels freezing in the dead of summer. 
Always know where you are visually and look backwards as you travel.  If your GPS craps, you need to be able to get back.. 

And please, Please, please !!

Give the guides a wide berth when they are staked out fly fishing. 

The Park is gorgeous and precious. Enjoy it ! 
Marc

Any reason we can't give everyone a wide berth? We all spend a lot of time, money and effort to be out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tender said:
On 2/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, Moderator said:

Any reason we can't give everyone a wide berth? We all spend a lot of time, money and effort to be out there.

I agree !!   I didn’t make that distinction and I should have. 
If you have a lot of room, give them a lot of room. 
Keep me honest here !

MM