Bayfisher 16 dry launch?

croakersmoker

I went fishing last weekend with a friend who dry launched their waterman. It got me thinking about trying it with my boat. I have a bayfisher 16. My boat will slide off the trailer with some effort when backed down a ramp. So that’s not an issue. I’m worried that the ramp would be too shallow and the boat would hit concrete. Has anyone tried this?

I have a 16 Redfisher. That is not a light boat.. I can’t imagine the force it would exert trying to get it off the bunks to splash down in what might or might not be deep enough water. Then I would suppose if u do not want to wet the trailer unloading it I would assume you would not want to wet the trailer loading.. winching it on a dry trailer would take a lot of force. In the end if your going to wet the trailer to retrieve the boat why would you not want to wet it when launching ? 
  All in all I just think my little boat is too heavy not to just float it on and off the trailer.. but that’s just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

@HoneyB I can get the boat to move pretty easily. There are products and tricks to help the boat slide even better. It should winch up pretty easily after using that. I noticed more rust on my trailer than my buddy's and his is older. Just looking for a way to prevent further rust damage as rinsing alone isn't cutting it. I'm a young guy. Not afraid to winch the boat up if it saves my trailer. Thanks for the input!

To answer the question..

Yes.  You can dry launch your boat. But only on a steep ramp with deep water to the shore. 
If shallow, you ground your keel. If not steep enough, your bow gets hung up on the bunks and your keel grounds the axle or frame.

Dry bunks will scar your gelcoat.  Silicones added to the carpet (or strips) make it risky. Bow has to be strapped and chained until you are at the launch point.
MM

• Like 1

Experienced an un-wanted 'dry launch' 20 years ago on Lake Norman here in NC.  20 degree morning headed out for stripers. My buddy unlooked his winch strap and chain before backing down ....... yep, slid off the frozen bunks onto the concrete ramp ...... accompanied by awful grinding and popping as his gelcoat took the brunt.

Finally got the boat into the water with the help of about 10 guys, but the resulting hull damage was UGLY. 

I'd be careful.

jb

3 hours ago, John B said:

Experienced an un-wanted 'dry launch' 20 years ago on Lake Norman here in NC.  20 degree morning headed out for stripers. My buddy unlooked his winch strap and chain before backing down ....... yep, slid off the frozen bunks onto the concrete ramp ...... accompanied by awful grinding and popping as his gelcoat took the brunt.

Finally got the boat into the water with the help of about 10 guys, but the resulting hull damage was UGLY. 

I'd be careful.

jb

I have watched one guy dry unload onto the dry ramp once. Also pulled back up to the dock to see a bunch of guys dry loading there boat from the dry ramp to the dry trailer once. That has to be an awful feeling l.