2022 Islamorada Owners Tournament (NOT AT BREEZY PALMS)

Hey everybody… regrettably we won’t be doing this year’s tournament at the Breezy Palms. They claimed that somebody representing MBG came into the office and told them that we were moving the event elsewhere. As a result they opened up that weekend for outside reservations and have supposedly filled up many of the rooms. Obviously this was all news to us and we weren’t happy. Stand by for a new location in the Keys! 

you're spot on SeaSerpent! 

"great harbor and access to both the bay and ocean" & "it's not the location but the people you are with"

Many acquaintances, friendships for a lifetime and truly unforgettable memories over the many years have been made at Breezy! 

Probably 70% of the time spent there is on the water or socializing with like minded MBG owners, whether at one of the activities or just hanging out and having a cold one at the docks, the pool or one of the chikees with friends and families.

On another note......I do not remember ever hearing of anyone referring to the place as a "hell hole". (maybe my standards are different)

We go to the Breezy for a fishing tournament, not to stay at a 5 star resort. Over the many OT's I have attended, my  accommodations have always been more than comfortable for the main reason of my stay. Clean rooms, cold a/c, hot water, clean linens, great location and not to even mention the price point of the rooms/marina package. I do not believe that you would find anything close to that value anywhere in Islamorada or the rest of the Keys.  I would rather stay one week at a 3 star resort over two days at a 5 star.

I will be at the Breezy this year once again along with friends whether MBG has the tournament there or not!

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 9:15 PM, inspctrgadget said:

We go to the Breezy for a fishing tournament, not to stay at a 5 star resort. Over the many OT's I have attended, my  accommodations have always been more than comfortable for the main reason of my stay. Clean rooms, cold a/c, hot water, clean linens, great location and not to even mention the price point of the rooms/marina package. I do not believe that you would find anything close to that value anywhere in Islamorada or the rest of the Keys.  I would rather stay one week at a 3 star resort over two days at a 5 star.

💯% right inspctr!

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I wanted to give an update so you all do not feel like I am leaving you hanging. We are looking at the Courtyard Marriott and Sister hotel the Faro Blanco which are right next to each other in Marathon. This would be a really nice upgrade with hopefully not too much of a $ increase. The Faro Blanco has nice protected marina for everyone. The Marriott has a nice pool, bar, and restaurant. We are shooting for the same dates as always 9/22 - 9/25. I should be hearing back any day now with more details and a thumbs up from them. At that point we can post the event live for you to sign up. Thank you for your patience.

If for some reason that location doesn't work out I would love to hear any of your suggestions. Please keep in mind we will need to accommodate 20-30 boats and 50 rooms to be safe. This doesn't leave a ton of great options.

1096576816_ScreenShot2022-03-30at10_13_10AM.png

thumbnail_Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.19.23 AM.png

On 3/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, Kkrebeck said:

Hello everyone. I wanted to give an update so you all do not feel like I am leaving you hanging. We are looking at the Courtyard Marriott and Sister hotel the Faro Blanco which are right next to each other in Marathon. This would be a really nice upgrade with hopefully not too much of a $ increase. The Faro Blanco has nice protected marina for everyone. The Marriott has a nice pool, bar, and restaurant. We are shooting for the same dates as always 9/22 - 9/25. I should be hearing back any day now with more details and a thumbs up from them. At that point we can post the event live for you to sign up. Thank you for your patience.

If for some reason that location doesn't work out I would love to hear any of your suggestions. Please keep in mind we will need to accommodate 20-30 boats and 50 rooms to be safe. This doesn't leave a ton of great options.

1096576816_ScreenShot2022-03-30at10_13_10AM.png

thumbnail_Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.19.23 AM.png

I have stayed at Faro Blanco, the hotel is new, clean and nice.  Stayed there for a motorcycle trip.  More power to you if you get a good price.  The hotel and harbor are seperate and they charge a ton for dockage which is why I have never been there by boat.  Hopefully you can work something out because it's a nice protected harbor.   Kent, did you ask them about trailer storage?  There are a couple near by ramps that are great, I mean great ramps.

Well Breezy maybe a hell hole but I'm keeping my reservation there. I think it's one of the best places in the keys. Ramp onsite good dockage easy to get gear from room or vehicle to boat every night, free trailer parking and slip, also access to the backcountry. And staying in a hotel room trying to move gear back and forth, no way! If my wife and I was going for a few days and hiring a guide, then yes it wouldn't be bad. And it will triple the cost per/night at the Marriot. And it adds an hour of drive time going down. How about you have the Capt. meeting and awards somewhere in Islamorada and people can stay wherever they want.

Good morning,

Marathon is not completely off the table but it's looking to be too complicated and expensive. $420 docking for three nights and $249/night for rooms. We are looking at possibly changing it up and having it in Stuart, FL which has an incredible inshore and offshore fishery. Stay tuned for more info very soon. We loved the benefits of the breezy as well but the new management ruined that. Unfortunately it seems theres no such thing as a cheap hotel anymore...

• Like 2

Stuart is probably not going to work for my crew; the Keys are a major draw…. I do like Barrito’s idea though; have the meetups at some place in Islamorada (like Lorelei or maybe The Angler House if they are open to it) and everyone find their own place to stay…

Good morning,

You guys have spoken and we want to honor your wishes this year and have the tournament in Islamorada. Stay where you want near Islamorada and we will have a meeting somewhere Thursday 9/22 and a nice dinner/party/awards/raffle somewhere TBD on Saturday 9/24. Stay tuned for more info.  By the way we have a new tournament app where you can sign up for the event, submit your catch (with a photo or video if you choose), and it will automatically total everyones points and show you what tickets you have earned. This should make things MUCH easier! We will be posting the event live soon to sign up. Thank you for your suggestions and patience. We look forward to a fun event this year in Islamorada! 

• Like 1

You're not going to believe this.... 

Claudio, Breezy Manger, is making all of us (that are staying at the Breezy) re-confirm our rooms because they are no longer honoring the old rates..... which is bull.... So we will now have to pay a much higher rate plus $25 per night for the slips. Even though we were confirmed with the old rates & free slips, they told me that they have the same right to cancel as I do. 

My suggestion is... call the Breezy and confirm your room rates so you're not surprised when you show up in Sept.

We are not happy about about Claudio pushing the Maverick Group out, but we really appreciate the MBC Group (Kent) taking on this daunting task to try and keep our Islamorada OT going this year.

The Breezy Palms is the reason we are all in disarray/predicament. It is unfortunate after all of these years of repeat customers (some of us 2-3 visits every year). Jenni and I will be reassessing our stay at the Breezy, and will definitely be shortening our trip from the normal 10-14 days we've been staying for the past few years.

Omar & Jenni

• Like 1