2005 HPX V 17 HP Rating

Hi. I did some searching but wasn’t able to locate anything online. I know my skiff is rated for a 90. My question is whether it’s possible / reasonable to hang a 115 on it?  My thinking is that given the lighter weight of some of the newer engines I’d be ok. I understand I’ll sacrifice in squat and draft a bit but I’d prefer the speed given where I’m running. Thanks for the opinions all!

What about a SHO 90HP Yamaha?  I would rather not add the weight especially if you have a 2 stroke 90 Yamaha. Difference could be substantial . I ran a VMAX 150 on my 20ft LT Hewes that had real out put of about 175 from what my boat tech said.  I think the SHO is somewhat the same,a hopped up 90 engine block.

On 3/12/2022 at 4:31 PM, joey7848 said:

Hi. I did some searching but wasn’t able to locate anything online. I know my skiff is rated for a 90. My question is whether it’s possible / reasonable to hang a 115 on it?  My thinking is that given the lighter weight of some of the newer engines I’d be ok. I understand I’ll sacrifice in squat and draft a bit but I’d prefer the speed given where I’m running. Thanks for the opinions all!

The SHO 90 (353 LBS) weighs only 24 LBS less than the SHO 115 (377 LBS), so if you're not concerned about stern squat and you want higher speeds, you may as well go with the 115.  However, if I was in your shoes, the choice would be between the Suzuki DF90A (343 LBS) or the Mercury 115 ProXS (359 LBS).  😊

• 3 weeks later...