Bilge and deck drains

HenrysCreek

I haven't spent much time on the new (to me) 18.5MA because of weather and grandkid duties.  She's now safely on the lift at my bay house, which got me thinking.....

With her being on the lift, I don't have access to removing the bilge drain plug and I'm curious about "what water" drains into the bilge vs. overboard.  Currently there's only one battery charger and it's connected to the trolling bank in the bow compartment.  If a lot of water drains into the bilge, I'm sure it'll drain the starting battery pretty quickly.

My plan was to just keep a trickle charger on the starting battery - but if the bilge collects water I might need to rethink that.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

I have an 18 that has plug in it all the time.  Water can get in around the anchor locker and I have the fold up seat behind console which also drains into the bilge.  I keep a good incline to the bow [up] which keeps the water in the back of the bilge. During the summer and heavier storms, I will notice the bilge pump kick on when I sit her in the water.. normally it’s not much water and I use the boat regularly.  
If The boat wasn’t used regularly, the internal plug would be best option.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...