Need Advice On Resources Please

flatsmatt

Hi Folks,

First post here and I come with my hand out.

In the next year I plan to buy my (hopefully) last/forever boat. I know, I know - lol.

I'm really focusing on older Mavericks and Action Crafts. To a lesser extent, Hewes are on my radar too. My goal is to spend the next several months educating myself on all the 17-18' models that those makers have produced since the 1980's. I'm not afraid of a full gut job and repower if I get it cheap enough and in some ways, despite the daunting task, that appeals to me more than something that's still limping along and is OK enough. A great hull restored with no wood and rigged with new tech has an appeal all its own but time will tell what I end up with.

That said I don't know what I don't know and my hope is that y'all can direct me to some resources. 

3 hours ago, flatsmatt said:

An great hull restored with no wood and rigged with new tech has an appeal all its own but time will tell what I end up with.

That said I don't know what I don't know and my hope is that y'all can direct me to some resources. 

CALL me !!!  I have mine for sale MA17 1995...I'll work you a deal....Moma want's it out of the front of the house...I just restored it and now I bought a HPS 23.

It still needs some final touches...but, the heavy lifting is complete, and she sleeps on a new Ameratrail.

dc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Flats, happy to share all I know about the Maverick Master Anglers.  I had an 87 and now have a 2000 (both 18’).  Wannaflatsfish had a 17.   

Let me know if you want to chat 

Gis

Test prep for middle schoolers today so I had a few hours free. I literally read every post and looked at every picture in your 'stringer' thread ... wow! That was equal parts inspiration and warning - lol! I'd love to pick your brain sometime. With the cult following some of these classic flats skiffs have, I'm surprised there isn't a comprehensive history like you see with Whalers. Or maybe just not yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

CALL me !!!  I have mine for sale MA17 1995...I'll work you a deal....Moma want's it out of the front of the house...I just restored it and now I bought a HPS 23.

It still needs some final touches...but, the heavy lifting is complete, and she sleeps on a new Ameratrail.

dc

I don't know. After spending a coupe hours reading through whichwaysup's rebuild thread, I might not look at anything prior to 2003 - lol! 

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet but I will give you call to learn more about what you've got down there. This would have been a lot easier if I wanted something like this while we still lived in Miami. Pretty sure whatever I end up with I'll not run across another like it in Tallahassee. 

I’m new to the group and “flats” boats.  Recently purchased a 1999 18.5 Master Angler with original Yamaha 130 which runs great.  I too toyed with the idea of repowering, but it starts and runs great - so I’m going to run it until it dies.  

You mentioned “down there” in one of the other posts.  Unlike many, I’m up in Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay.  Bought the boat to fish the creeks/flats for Specks & Reds.  

Happy to chat about what I went through.  Looked at several boats.  Some were crap, some I didn’t pull the trigger quick enough on.  I will say, prices on the older ones appears to be softening again.  Find one with good bones.  Mine had the fuel tank replaced, which is a major plus.  Newer engine is also nice, but not a deal killer @ the right price.  They’re easy to work on and trailer.  Speaking of which, make sure the trailer is in great condition.