Maverick Master Angler vs Hewes Redfisher/Bonefisher

tommat

Keep in mind that, depending on the year, you will see very different fit/finish in all of these models.   The 85 to early 90 MAs were much more spartan, lighter, and "skiffier" than the later versions.   Not as familiar with changes to the Redfisher.

The most notable difference between the MA and the Redfisher is the beam.   On the MA, the gunnels are super wide and it is an incredibly stable, wide fishing platform.   The Redfisher is narrower, so the gunnels are narrower and even though they are roughly the same size, you feel less boat.    Keep in mind that the redfisher is still plenty wide and isn't nearly as narrow as an HPX, it's just that the MA is particularly beamy.   

The Redfisher is faster, the MA has a better ride.   The redfisher is sleeker/sexier, the MA is more classic.   The redfisher is still in production, the MA has a cult following.  They draw roughly the same.   You can't go wrong either way if you want a general purpose flats boat.    

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tommat said:

Thanks whichwyasup.  I MA I was looking at was a 1992.   Will probably try and find a later year MA based on your review..

Nothing wrong with a 92.   My first MA was an 87 and I loved that boat.  The hull was the same, but the bow flares more on my 2000.   At the right price and with the right care, that 92 would be worth considering!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just returned from a Glades trip in a 21MA.  I’ve made the trip a couple of times in a 2000V but Without a Doubt the 21MA is the boat for that trip.  We left out of Founder’s Park in Islamorada/Plantation Key and ran the outside rout to Flamingo to get our park pass.  Then off to Rogers River Chickee.  Fished all around Rogers Bay, Broad river, Your Bay, LM5, etc.  Hauled all of our gear. Ton of fish-able deck surface.  Plenty of dry storage.  Seas weren’t bad so didn’t experience a lot of chop.   Ran there in 10-15 knot winds.  Came back dead calm.  Ran 50mph all the way back.  2 Hour trip from Rogers to Founder’s Park.  We logged well over 250 miles.  Can’t imagine a better machine for doing that type of trip.  Hard to believe they stopped production of the 21MA.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

No one will ever understand that decision.....

dc

Seems like I remember one of the Mav Team stating that they wanted to focus on the Tech Poling Skiff market and avoid some duplication with the Redfisher series.  Guess the Bayfisher was dropped for similar reasons.  I know the Pathfinder 22 was about the same boat Hull wise but they fish and function totally different.  

On 2/28/2023 at 6:27 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

No one will ever understand that decision.....

dc

Years ago they built boats for fisherman…now it looks to be heading towards family style, multi functional type boats. The old 21 MA is one of the finest platforms ever built. It’s a tank and can handle any sea conditions that my 22 PF does. My first Maverick was an 18” back in 1986 and I wish I still had it for close inshore fishing.

• Like 1

It's not as beamy as the later model Maverick MA, but there is a replica (similar but improved) of the original Berg Maverick in production at Dragonfly Boatworks.  It's the Dragonfly 17 Classic.  Once in a while, a nice used one will show up for sale.  It's a very sexy, limited production boat, built well, has that aggressive Maverick forward "v" and flared bow, and the fit & finish are yacht-quality.

• Like 1