2000 Maverick MA 17 Help!

searobyn

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and figured I would tap in for some knowledge. I recently picked up a 2000 Maverick Master Angler 17. It's a real good condition and fairly stock. There is only one battery on the boat. I'd like to add a power pole and a second battery for this upcoming fishing season. I'd rather not put the battery in the console, as I'd also like to add a trolling motor and would probably put the battery (and charger) in the console then. I'm just concerned with the additional weight on that rear, starboard side. I don't think I can mount the power pole on the port side, because that port side hatch is enclosed and I can't fit the through bolts for the power pole on that side. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I have essentially the same setup you're referring to and weight is a necessary evil in this case. My setup is as follows:

- (2) AGM group 24 dedicated TM batteries in my center console (onboard charger for those batteries in there too).

- (2) AGM group 27 batteries in the rear starboard hatch on a switch (one house, one starting).

- 6' Power Pole on starboard side for the same reasons you mentioned.

I hear you.... I wish there wasn't so much weight in my rear starboard hatch but it's the best setup for the boat. When I have a p***enger on the boat I have them sit on the left hand side of me.

Different boat, but I run 3 group 24's in my console and i have never had an issue running out of juice. Two batteries for my 24v TM and one crank/house battery. I have one of the TM batteries wired on a switch as a back up to my cranking battery although I have never had to use it on the water. If it were me, I would try anything I could to keep the weight centralized.

I'm not sure there is a need for a house when all you have is a powerpole and/or small gps. I'd do one cranking and 2 for the trolling motor in the front hatch. That will be sufficient 99.9 percent of the time unless you need to run a livewell through the night

The reason I have two batteries back there is to just always have backup. They're both Odysseys (either group 24 or 27 - can't remember) that I have on a switch. On any given day I'm running: livewell, stereo, PP, JP, so it's nice to have that insurance battery right there on the switch. Also, my method is that I use Battery #1 on one trip, then Battery #2 on the next, etc. Yes I could get rid of one of them and run the switch to my two TM batteries but I don't always charge my trolling motor before going out if I know for sure I'm not going to be using it. But no doubt, it's a lot of weight!

The battery tray will crack so you need to keep the weight down. I ran a single group 27 for years and my tray was about to give way. I run a single group 24 in the aft and a group 27 under the console. I have a battery switch in case I need to switch batteries.

I run 2 size 27's in the console for TM, also have VHF connected to one of those batteries the Dual Pro charger is in there too. I run 1 size 24 starting battery in the rear starboard hatch for house and engine.

I carry a set of jumper cables in case I have to jump start the starter battery. Much less weight than carrying a FOURTH battery in such a small skiff. I've never had to use the jumper cables to date.

Try a Cobra JumPack for your portable jump charge... It has 360A starting current, it will maintain a full charge for months and its about the size of an iPhone, a bit thicker. the nice thing is you can also charge phones or other USB devices too. Small and inexpensive... I've started my tractor at hunt camp with it...

Archived