Ecological Disaster in Florida

Big Dave

Here's the text of email messages I just sent to my state senator and representative. Emails also went to Florida's United States Senators and Governor Scott yesterday (no response yet) and to Ron Bergeron, Commissioner of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. That message was forwarded to the Executive Director of the FWC and to contacts at CCA Florida. Keep up the momentum. I urge you to contact your elected officials and others. Feel free to "cut and paste":

To the Honorable Katie A. Edwards;

Dear Representative Edwards:

This is the second time in the last month or two that I have contacted you. I am increasingly concerned about the ecological disaster that is happening in our state following the billions of gallons of water discharged from Lake Okeechobee. I am an avid inshore recreational- and tournament fisherman, a Lifetime Member of the Coastal Conservation ***ociation and the International Game Fish ***ociation, and a member of the Bonefish & Tarpon Trust. Since January, more than 80 billion gallons of polluted water from Lake O have fouled our rivers and estuaries. I have personally experienced the destruction of gr*** flats in the Everglades National Park, the 10,000 Islands and Florida Bay. Along with that destruction I have witnessed dead fish, water foul, manatees, pelicans and other wildlife. I would like to know where you stand on Senate Bill 1168 and why you have not supported allocation of Amendment One funds (that the voters of Florida approved with almost 80% voting "yes"). The will of the people is not being done. To avert further, perhaps permanent damage and destruction, we must implement the recommendations of the University of Florida Water Institute, which include purchasing land for water to be stored, cleaned and sent south. This is a major ecological and economical issue for our state, and it is becoming increasingly more visible as guides, business owners, boat manufacturers, fisherman and other outdoorsmen, conservation-minded groups and the press become engaged. I look forward to a response to my inquiry and I will be sharing my message on social media (FaceBook, various forums and blogs).

Archived