Replacing Rub Rail

flatsfisher772

2 hours ago, Wizumz said:

RubRails.com was extremely helpful and competitively priced when I put a new rub rail on the last boat I restored.  My least favorite job though was pushing the vinyl tubing into the rail, did it by hand and ended up with massive blisters on my fingers... couldn't pay me to do that again without some sort of tools.

https://rubrails.com/ 

Did you push the insert all the way around the boat? I have installed inserts by seating the bottom lip in and using a rubber mallet to bump the insert in. 

15 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Did you push the insert all the way around the boat? I have installed inserts by seating the bottom lip in and using a rubber mallet to bump the insert in. 

I did the same when replacing my rope insert. Got it started and used a tire tool to pop it in along the way. A heat  gun will also help to soften the vinyl to make it somewhat maluable and easier to push in the rubrail. 

On 4/28/2022 at 6:33 PM, HoneyB said:

Yes, heated it with a heat gun and pushed it in with my fingers all the way around the boat. I do not suggest doing it that way, find a tool that works for you.