Garmin Shutoff

Lowcountry Joe

No experience with Garmins, but Lowrance and Humminbirds Iv'e had did the same thing if not wired directly to the battery, NOT through the fuseblock. Even with a good battery.

Just use an inline fuse.

Most instillation manuals advise to connect directly to the battery and not the fuse block.

Shouldn't they be connected directly to the battery switch rather than directly to the battery?

I'm having a similar issue with my VHF. When I key it up, it shuts everything down and it runs through a fuse block. Think I may take the pos+ line directly to the battery switch but leave the ground on the block. Thoughts?

Garmins are very sensitive to low voltage drop....

I've always gone to the BUS with a direct line...never a problem, so long as the "house" battery has the proper voltage...

On my skinny mini, i have the 741xs with it wired to the bus with a 5 amp fuse as recommended...

Ran it 3 trips...no problems...I'm running a series 27 to run my PP"s and GPS, no other electronics to speak of that run....

I have not had any problems with low voltage or turn off, but, i'm also only firing up a 50 hp 2 stroke and I have more than enough juice.....

i did find i had some problems described when i used to live bait in my Pathy and was running the wells all day....the motor would always turn as i had a series 31 as my house (F150) and two sets of live wells, but, on occasion, the GPS would stutter and I"d loose it......This would usually only occur at the end of the day and was an annoyance....i was going to change it to the TM batter and create a separate bus for it..but, sold the boat prior to doing so.

dc

I had the same problem with multiple units... It's your batteries getting weak.. Not saying they're bad, but when you shut the boat off then let it sit with the radio running, live well etc. it takes juice off the battery, and when you crank the motor it draws a lot of power.. Most gps units especially garmin has a safety feature that will shut it down if it senses the voltage being lower than a certain point... Hope this helps.. Also I have 4 batteries on board, 2 for the boat and 2 for trilling motor. It helps a bunch when I shut 1 battery down when I stop for a period of time, then flip it over to 2 batteries when I crank..

Archived