Fishing Banana/Indian Rivers 5/26-5/27. How's the grass looking?

Coming over from Tampa and being joined by my adult son.  Launching from Eau Gallie ramp and heading north the first day and then south the second.  Fished this area 40 years ago (ouch - 40?).  I'm going to assume, it's changed a bit (and not necessarily for the better.

Any suggestions on general areas to work?  

I appreciate

4 hours ago, DavisIslander said:

Coming over from Tampa and being joined by my adult son.  Launching from Eau Gallie ramp and heading north the first day and then south the second.  Fished this area 40 years ago (ouch - 40?).  I'm going to assume, it's changed a bit (and not necessarily for the better.

Any suggestions on general areas to work?  

I appreciate

Not 100% sure of the grass situation where youre going to be fishing, but assume its about the same as 10-20 miles south. But to the south the grass has been dead or very short. The droughts help bring it back some. I would concentrate on other structures like oysters, docks, or islands. They hold fish around the Sebastian area atleast. 

18 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Not 100% sure of the grass situation where youre going to be fishing, but assume its about the same as 10-20 miles south. But to the south the grass has been dead or very short. The droughts help bring it back some. I would concentrate on other structures like oysters, docks, or islands. They hold fish around the Sebastian area atleast. 

I'm going to be fishing due North and then due South of Patrick AFB.  I'm worried that it's going to be a mud bowl and like you suggested hit the oysters, docks and such.  It's called FISHING, not CATCHING - so we'll have a blast either way!

Thanks

DI,

These are my home waters, but I have not fished this area in over a year. The water "looks" pretty good at this time. If the rains come that will change...

There is very little of the "right kind" of grass that I can see, or have heard about. 

That said people are catching some fish, and last time I went we caught a bunch of dink trout that made for a fun day.

Docks, points, and depth changes, are what I would concentrate on.

I much prefer to launch at Ballard Park vs. Eau Gallie Causeway. It's always calm, can be fresh water, and there can be some good fishing in the EG River.

Good Luck!

Mike

Update!  We've decided to fish the main creeks/rivers on the West side of Indian River.

Fishing Crane Creek

Turkey Creek

And finally Eau Gallie River.

It matches our fishing style over here in Tampa Bay.  Hitting the mangroves, shorelines, docks, obstructions, etc.

I'm excited to hit the water and bend a few poles.

Thanks everyone for all the assistance and help!  I'll post "monster" fish images when we get back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavisIslander said:

Update!  We've decided to fish the main creeks/rivers on the West side of Indian River.

Fishing Crane Creek

Turkey Creek

And finally Eau Gallie River.

It matches our fishing style over here in Tampa Bay.  Hitting the mangroves, shorelines, docks, obstructions, etc.

I'm excited to hit the water and bend a few poles.

Thanks everyone for all the assistance and help!  I'll post "monster" fish images when we get back.

Awesome! Cant wait for the pics

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, DavisIslander said:

Getting excited!  Boat's all ready and we should be getting there early (way too early) Thursday morning.  LONG drive from Tampa.  

If you end up wandering south of where youre fishing, there has been a ton of greenies(white bait as you west coasties call em) around the spoil islands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shallowminded6 said:

If you end up wandering south of where youre fishing, there has been a ton of greenies(white bait as you west coasties call em) around the spoil islands. 

Great to see, I'm looking at the weather and it's raising some concerns, 15-20 kicks up some waves.  Hopefully it won't get bad until later in the day so we'll at least get a good morning on the water.

South wind. The creeks will be fishable. Sebastian River also.

Honest John's is a cool old fish camp on protected waters, might be an option.

In the open IRL it'll be bumpy, but you could hide behind points a little bit. Thursday "might" have enough East in it to fish the East side bank...

Fished it hard - wind was up and the IRL was bumpy as all get out.  Big jacks, bunches of pesky trout, a few 20" snookums and saw some monster tarpon in Sykes that tease us for a few hours.  Also bunches of sharks cruising around.  We had a blast and will come back again (hopefully in calmer weather. 

A big thank you for all the intel, it helped make a great couple of days on the water.

• Like 1