18.5 Maverick Master Angler - Fully restored.. (Sold)

1 1/2 years ago I purchased a 1990 18.5 Master Angler that was in pretty good shape with a 2004 Ameritrail trailer.

I love boats so I decided to do a little restoration. Well I can never do a little of anything.. I did the following:

Re-did all hatches with new Gemlux hatch locks and hinges. This was very expensive because all had to be fabricated. I took the boat to Gemlux and they selected for me. Built storage and anchor locker in front compartment.

Removed all old fittings and rub rail, Replaced all. Sanded entire boat and painted with Awlgrip. The boat is Atlantic blue, I think, and the interior non-skid is Whisper grey. Turned out fantastic.

New center console, reinforced and upgraded.

Re-wired entire boat. All marine wire and fitting and all heat-shrink. Replaced switch panel with New - wire panel out of NC. All push button. Battery switch in center console and this was much work. My neck still hurts.

New powder coated poling platform. Upgraded style.

New horn and navigation lights.

Boat is like new. Ride and runs beautifully.

New bilge and livewell pumps. 

New engine. Evinrude e-tec G -2 150 ho. Runs fabulous. Cableless throttle. 5 year warranty. Installed by Becks outboards in Jacksonville an Evinrude dealer for over 40 years. They have all parts and honor all warranties. The engine is light, powerful, quiet and very fuel efficient. Perfect for this boat. The engine has approximately 10 hours on it.

Vacuumed and solvent cleaned fuel system. Aluminum tank. Professionally done.

Minnkota I-pilot with hand remote... Has anchor, GPS etc. 24V Dakota lithium battery for trolling motor. Cost over $1,000. With charger. Very light battery. 

Garmin 1000 series 10" with GPS Sonar and side scan and motor controls. Very nice Unit. New JBL sound with excellent speakers.

New Bennett electric trim tabs. Works great.

New 8' Powerpole. Works great.

New Rodholders on console. Best brand.

New front seat and pedestal.

Installed horn.

New wheels and tires for 2004 Ameritrail trailer and new fenders. New axles and wiring. Trailer is like new.

My circumstances have changed. I would like to sell the boat. I have a lot of money and time in boat. However, I would like to sale and move in a different direction since my circumstances and changed since I bought the boat.

What is a fair price for the boat or let me know if you might have an interest. This boats rides fabulous. I fished this same boat in the 1990's out of Sebastian inlet. Up to 6 foot inlet and lots of current, jetties etc. This boat is a champion in it's class. That is why I bought it.

I'm Rick at 904 710-4239 or PM me, or post here.

IMG_20220506_185227216_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220506_185222800.jpg

IMG_20220506_190628572_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220506_190853616_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220506_190712177_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220506_190538278_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20220506_190642320_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220507_111510697.jpg

IMG_20220506_185346056 Best.jpg

IMG_20220506_190603144_HDR TM.jpg

6 minutes ago, Carolinadrifter said:

Man you did a beautiful job! I would guess somewhere around the $35k ish range. Where did you get that console if you don’t mind me asking?I would love to add a flush mount console to my 03. 

Console came from MarineFiberglassDirect.com. I added some reinforcement and cut about 5" off height. Then awlgripped. I reused the original mounting brackets they were good. I tell you man, every component that originally came on this boat was first class. All stainless, mostly through bolt,  wiring, hoses were all first class. These boats were ahead of their time.

The stringers are perfect.

You mention the console.... Nobody would build or sale me a console because of supply and labor shortages and how people are these days. You have to be creative and have a good fiberglass guy!

I like the price that you suggested. Thinking the same.

You have a work of art !!! 

However, art is in the eye of the beholder - as they say.

I recently did the same on a MA17, I had over $30K in the skiff....I had to sell it for $17.5K.

While it's completely restored, I would say that you will need to find someone in today's market (meaning everyone is hold cash), that is looking for the exact same skiff and likes your design.

I would be prepared to take $25K or less, unless you have time to wait it out.....I probably could have gotten $25K on mine if I wanted to wait 3-6 months for the right buyer, but, wife wanted the boat out of the yard.

I wish you the best, but, as you have asked for opinions.....the comments above are valid - Evenrude engine is definitely not a plus.

DC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Who fabricated the helm seat?  Love the additional height of the seating and console!  You’re going to miss this one when she’s gone.  Labor of love!

Steve Quinn has a Fabrication shop in St Marys, Ga. His number is 904 891-8997. Steve's family owned the formally Pelagic Fabrication in Jacksonville, Fl, a large marine fabrication company. He also owns a Powder Coating shop, does upholstery and wiring.  Steve is a good guy who is mostly reasonable in price and very detailed. Great welder. 

I can drive standing or seated very comfortably.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You have a work of art !!! 

However, art is in the eye of the beholder - as they say.

I recently did the same on a MA17, I had over $30K in the skiff....I had to sell it for $17.5K.

While it's completely restored, I would say that you will need to find someone in today's market (meaning everyone is hold cash), that is looking for the exact same skiff and likes your design.

I would be prepared to take $25K or less, unless you have time to wait it out.....I probably could have gotten $25K on mine if I wanted to wait 3-6 months for the right buyer, but, wife wanted the boat out of the yard.

I wish you the best, but, as you have asked for opinions.....the comments above are valid - Evenrude engine is definitely not a plus.

DC

The boat has some things going in its favor. It's an 18.5 which is a different class of boat than the 17. The 21 is in a different class that the 18.5. 18.5 is a great inshore boat because it is easy to work with in tight spaces. In N. Florida the 18.5 is good for creeks, bays, rivers etc. Had good range and is easy to use. Can also be used for fresh water. The most versatile boat that I have ever had was a Hewes Redfisher 18. Had it all. That is why I bought this boat.

Also, Good boats are hard to find right now. If you buy a boat that needs electronics, wiring  fiberglass work and new trolling motor you will spend $6-7 thousand dollars. For a 150hp Yamaha, very difficult to get, you will spend $17,000 tax and installation. Then you have to find someone that can work on it for less than $10,000 labor in the next 6 months. It's not like it used to be. That is why boats cost so much. I remember in 2001 and 22' Pathfinder cost $25,000 and now they are almost $100,000.

As far as the Evinrude 150, This was a crate motor and is brand new. New wiring, new PT prop. It's a great brand new motor... Does not have 600 hours or new powerhead or lower unit. So far Evinrude has been great at honoring warranties and having parts according to Becks outboards here in Jacksonville (they are an incredible outboard dealer). I have not needed any parts and probably will not.

It's a great boat for someone. I would work with someone but I don't have to sell it. I can just use it.

• Like 1

Pathfinder - 

I think Carolina Drifter is spot on with the price - 35K is right in the ballpark.    Dino's comments are accurate, but I've been watching these boats for several years now and have reached out to every seller afterwards to see what they got.   The prices are constantly going up, but the big "x" factor is engine.   There is an 8-10K difference between original power and new power, 2 stroke and 4 stroke.    I was frankly surprised that Dino's didn't fetch more, but I think the engine was the biggest factor.   You've got brand new power at a time that new 150s are hard to come by.   Seeing Nag's old Smurfette go for 29K with 1000 on the engine is evidence that hull condition is a factor, but 4S power always gets a higher price, even with a lot of hours.    

Given what you've done with that boat, the ONLY thing a buyer would have to worry about would be the tank, and depending on how the boat has been taken care of, that tank may have many years left.   A good inspection would confirm or correct that concern.     BTW, stringer issues seem to be relegated to the 2000 year boats, due to the change in the design - they went to recessed trim tabs but hadn't yet extended the stringers.  It's only an issue on those boats if the trailer is not double bunked.   I've never heard or seen any stringer issues outside of the year 2000 18.5 MAs. and the three I know that had the issue have all been fixed and are running great.

That 1990 has a big advantage that many don't realize over later models.   That recessed bow deck is a massive benefit for fly fishing.   It traps the line on the deck and keeps it from blowing overboard.   My 87 had that feature, and while I like the big, smooth deck of my 2000, I miss the recessed area every time I pull out the fly rod.   

BTW, I'd love to see some pics of that switch panel.   I'm up here in NC so would be curious if you'd recommend who did yours.    

Good luck with your sale, I suspect this one will go for a strong price, and someone will get an absolute gem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

BTW, I'd love to see some pics of that switch panel.   I'm up here in NC so would be curious if you'd recommend who did yours.    

https://newwiremarine.com/switch-panel-options/08-classic-sea-craft4-min/

I love the quality of their work. They have made two switch panels for me over the years and I love their work. Super clean. They are in Charleston, SC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pathfinder0883 said:

https://newwiremarine.com/switch-panel-options/08-classic-sea-craft4-min/

I love the quality of their work. They have made two switch panels for me over the years and I love their work. Super clean. They are in Charleston, SC.

Agree!  They made this one for me a couple of months ago. Excellent workmanship and quick turnaround. 

6F0F48A7-C2B5-4096-AD9B-12924EB0D31D.jpeg

• Like 2

• Pathfinder0883 changed the title to 18.5 Maverick Master Angler - Fully restored.. (Sold)