Forced to Repower, Need Input- 1997 BF 16'

croakersmoker

Well, the day finally came. My original 1997 Yamaha 90 2 stroke inshore bit the dust last weekend. I made a post a few months ago looking for input on repowering my 1997 Bayfisher 16' and didn't get much input. I use that boat in deeper water trout fishing in the summer as well as fly fishing for bull reds in the winter. I live in SE Louisiana. I am looking to gain range and speed. My 2 stroke gave me pretty good numbers: 40.5 WOT @ 5500rpms and 33mph Cruising @ 4600rpms and a true 10.5" draft loaded and poling. I love Yamaha, but understand there are other good options out there. I know some people go with the F70, but I need more speed than that. So far, I think I have arrived at my best three options. 

1) Suzuki DF 90hp 342lbs

2)Yamaha Sho 90hp 362lbs

3)Yamaha Sho 115hp 377lbs

I plan on switching to lithium batteries and moving weight forward to account for this, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on the 115hp. My USCG rating sticker has worn off, so I don't know what the real rating is. I would love to see what speeds I could get with the 115 and know I would love the hole shot. Should I have concerns about the strength of my transom? I had a few spider cracks repaired caused by the last owner not using a transom saver, but since then, my transom appears rock solid. I have knocked all over and can't find a weak spot. I am not as concerned with gaining an inch or two of draft as I loved the way the boat poled last winter, when I was 35lbs heavier and I kept my cooler in front of the poling platform. I would appreciate any input, opinions, or experiences.

Availability would be the first and foremost issue with repower from what everyone has said. I repowered two years ago(mine is 18’) with a 140 zuke. Hard to beat their price with a 6 year warranty. The fuel economy is impressive, Im sure all new 4 strokes will be similar. Spider cracks seem to be on all the boats so wouldnt worry about it. If you are looking in the 115 area look at the 140 Zuke, same weight as the 115. 

@Shallowminded6 I think the sho 115 is as heavy as I would go. The suzuki 140 is even heavier. I am definitely considering the zuk 90 since it is the lightest 90 on the market. As far as availability goes, it looks like my best bet is to put down a deposit with a few dealers and take the first zuk 90 or sho 115 that comes in. Likely months away. I really wish I could get a hold of someone with a 4 stroke 115 on a 16 footer. I'm starting to believe I might become the first person to do it.

I had a SHO 115 on my Redfisher 16 and loved the power and speed.  It was a bit heavy on the transom, but I also had a jack plate with almost 8" of setback.  I now have a Suzuki 90 on my 18' flats skiff and love it too.  Quick holeshot, plenty of power to carry two people and a fishing load, and awesome fuel economy (8+ mpg).  Like Shallowminded6 said, availability may be the deciding factor.  Another option to consider is the Mercury 115 ProXS.  It weighs 359 with the standard gearcase.  The Command Thrust model (2.38:1 gear ratio) has become popular with flats guides because it offers great holeshot, torque, speed, and a larger selection of prop choices (Tempest Plus and other 4.75" barrel props)

3 hours ago, croakersmoker said:

@geeviam What speed could you hit with the sho on the RF16?

Best top speed was 53 mph with a modified 13.5 x 20 Raker 3-blade at 6200 rpm.  With a Yamaha Talon SS 19 pitch 3-blade it would top out at 52 mph at 6300 rpm.  With a Merc Spitfire X7 17 pitch 4-blade,  it would reach 49 mph at 6300 rpm.  All these speeds were achieved on a cool day, 1/2 tank of fuel, light load, and just me driving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...