17 MA jack plate thoughts?

DaveC

Hello!  Just a question of curiosity for the most part... I have a 17 MA with a 115 Pro XS , been thinking about a jack plate but not sure?  I have heard a few pro's and cons but am interested to hear what y'all think about it?  Just not sure how it will affect my CG and ride?

On 5/18/2022 at 3:16 PM, DaveC said:

Hello!  Just a question of curiosity for the most part... I have a 17 MA with a 115 Pro XS , been thinking about a jack plate but not sure?  I have heard a few pro's and cons but am interested to hear what y'all think about it?  Just not sure how it will affect my CG and ride?

I bought a 199817 MA in December and it doesn't have one. I asked the owner and he said it originally had one but he took it off and never looked back. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 4:16 PM, DaveC said:

Don't think it's worth the $$$....where I was fishing with the MA17, unless you want to run super shallow over oyster bars, I don't think it's worth it.

I found, with the Minkotta trolling motor, I would normally stop 100 yards from where I'm fishing and troll in...I normally kept the motor full down, and when I hit the skeg, I normally knew I was getting close to grounding....so, I would stop and turn around, or try and get a bit more shallow....but, normally, at that point, the trolling motor is grounding as well....

My thoughts...

dc

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2022 at 3:39 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Don't think it's worth the $$$....where I was fishing with the MA17, unless you want to run super shallow over oyster bars, I don't think it's worth it.

I found, with the Minkotta trolling motor, I would normally stop 100 yards from where I'm fishing and troll in...I normally kept the motor full down, and when I hit the skeg, I normally knew I was getting close to grounding....so, I would stop and turn around, or try and get a bit more shallow....but, normally, at that point, the trolling motor is grounding as well....

My thoughts...

dc

Thanks D....  I am starting to sell a new brand, and I have one that I can install on my 17.... My concern was I think that hull doesn't really need anything?  DC