New Redfisher 21 Owners thread

gatorb8

I would be really interested to talking to owners of the new Redfisher 21. What do you like, what do you dislike, what did you add, what did you change……. Would also be glad to answer any questions of non owners to!

I’m just getting to 20 hours. Added 36V iPilot Link, Humminbird Helix 7 G4N SI DI Gps, Lithium batts, Yandina charge on the fly, and a noco 10 amp lithium charger. 

The boat comes wired for trolling motor and house battery in the console but only with 3 battery trays. Trays were removed to fit 3 50 amp TM lithiums and one 125 amp start/house lithium. They all fit fine!

Pulling transducer and ethernet wires was a bitch! The wire chase was tightly stuffed with many wires and the pull rope would jam. After hours I tried pushing all wires into the wire chase to loosen them up, it worked finally. The transducer is placed per instructions but keeps popping up in the highest mount point, may need to raise the mount and install a thru hull 2D with a Y cable. 

Boat jumps on plane and hits about 55 mph. The trim tabs need some thought…….my Maverick 21 MA had the long actuator lenco tabs and I could roll that boat 30°-40°, the Bennet tabs only roll the Redfisher 21 about 10° and I got soaked on a windy beam sea run home one day. I may consider swapping the Bennets out for long Lenco actuators. 

I’m thinking about modifying the rod holders out about 4” and putting in cup holders, plier holder, binoc holder…..the is no place to put that stuff now…..except maybe in a hatch but that’s a pain….

That’s all I have for now, will post some pics later

140A0F02-661F-433A-BE05-ADEE073277A3.jpeg

36CCDAD5-6CA7-4497-9C84-4D6442E50453.jpeg

4EAB6013-17D8-455E-BFFC-903F4E27810B.jpeg

D4003356-4C0C-4DB9-8BEE-D3A817E81028.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That is a really tough question and I haven’t had enough time on the water to come to a conclusion. It’s been windy as heck here since I got it so really haven’t “fished” it enough.

There are lots of tradeoffs to consider.

My MA21 had a 200 HPDI and got better gas mileage. My RF21 has a SHO 250 and is a bigger boat so that makes sense.

To raise the RF21 motor you must remember to raise jack plate or risk damaging the deck & SHO due to how the deck access hatch is raised, MA21 had no jackplate and could just raise up. BUT, the access was a PITA on the MA21 and the access on the RF21 is awesome, you can about climb in, no more Houdini moves required to work in bilge. So tradeoff….

I never used the front livewell on the MA21 so the large storage compartment on the RF21 is a welcome addition. 

The large anchor well made it easy to mount the trolling motor with back nuts & washers. Easy to reach

Can’t fairly compare the hardware and electrical, it’s a 20 year upgrade and done well.

The RF21 jumps on plane scary fast, the MA21 jumped pretty good to, was happy with both.

I like the RF21 open undergunnel, more stability when standing in cockpit, easy access, and I never overnight stored rods in the MA21 enclosed gunnel. 

My MA21 had lenco trim tabs with long actuators. I could roll up the windward side in a beam sea/wind to stay very dry. The RF21 will roll about 10° with the Bennet tabs and is not as dry in severe conditions. I say severe cause I have been in many beam wind/sea days at 15 mph and has been very dry, there was just this one day when it was blowing 30 mph and I got soaked. MA21 with shorter tabs probably would have been the same, dunno…..

I have no use for the seat backs………. they will look new 20 years from now….. :) 

The RF21 draws a few more inches of water and that’s ok where I fish. 

The RF21 has a bit more freeboard and I’m adjusting……little more windage.

The RF21 pole platform bolts to the deck, the MA21 pole platform bolts to deck and stern. My MA21 welds broke a few times at the stern, I like the deck mount, seems easier to repair if needed. 

The RF21 tabs are exposed, the MA21 tabs were under hull. I FLY fish with a line tamer so it’s a “don’t care”

The RF21 rides a little more like a bigger boat (cause it is) and since I’m on a large bay with wind and fetch, I welcome the improvement on my older bones. 

So the million dollar question: If I could order a 2022 MA21 or a 2022 RF21 which would I order?

Answer: I don’t know yet, I need some better weather and more fishing! The weather has sucked! 

• Like 2

Just another note:

I really depends on your application. If I was fishing skinny water all the time, the MA21 would be my choice. 

I rarely fish in less that 2’ of water and mostly fish the bay and near shore beaches and reefs so either one works well there until the seas kick up……then I would give a nudge to the RF21.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I have a 2008 21 Master Angler with a 250 HPDI. I love my boat. I am on this Forum way too often. I don't post that much, but probably read through the posts at least a few times a week. I have always found it odd that there aren't that many comments or posts by new RF 21 owners. It is definitely a beautiful boat. I hope the wind cooperates with you soon! Mother nature seems to always know when I will be on the water, and cranks up the wind accordingly. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here are my thoughts on my 21 Redfisher - 2021 250 VMax 40ish hours now. 

This is a new style boat for me but one that fits my needs pretty well. West Coast of Florida - Bradenton area so the lots of flats areas to fish along with bigger bay areas to cross. She rides well, 40 MPH seems to best all-around speed. Seems to really settle in well with up to a moderate chop. Thus far, very pleased with the fit and finish, no rattles, loose hinges or such. 

What I've added:

Mid-ship cleat, Deck light on Poling Plat Form (AKA- my lunch table ), Rapid Switch Shade System, Aquatraction, Power Pole Charging system, Dual 8' Poles, in-dash usb & 12V charge port. 24volt minn kota ulterra. 

What I like - 

The ride, for what it is- she's stable, predicable and dry. The overall size seems larger than a 21 ft boat to me. I'm mostly by myself so there is plenty of room to wander! The live well and release wells are awesome. Nice size, holds and keeps the bait fresh. Storage- under the seat or up in the bow. plenty fill with all the stuff one likely never uses. Cushions a firm and comfortable, the back rest is nice. Anchor locker, you don't see these often on this style of boat, no used the anchor yet, but when I need to I know where its at! The 24 volt trolling motor is plenty sufficient, no need for a 36. 

The color- you can guess by the name here- its  whisper grey & black. 

What I don't care for- 

While the live well works great, i don't like constantly bending over to get a bait, longer handled bait nets are helpful here. From the main deck your somewhat lower so it helps to ease the need bend however if you have the backrest in, that's just another thing to contend with. I'm sure I'll get blasted for that one, but I've been used to a stand up bait well in my other boats. 

While the fit and finish is nice on the visible areas, its the stuff under the console and in the service areas that makes me wonder why they just could have made these areas look a little nicer. 

Rod Storage- under gunnel storage is decent, easy enough to get in, hate the bending to do it. Lazy I know. 

I like the boat, now I wonder if I would like the 2300 HPS better? Any one have any comps on that to share with me? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

couple of updates on my RF21

my RF21 lives on a lift, getting the cowl off to check oil is a real PITA for one person! I came up with a way to hook a camlock strap on with engine tilted up, then slowly tilt down until the oil check tube is exposed. 

I installed the poling platform lean post from my MA21 on the RF21, it came out good. The poling platform top is thin aluminum and has a little give, since I use the lean post more for reference point to stand and not really leaning heavy, should be ok. If it doesn’t work out I’ll add some support to the top.

The lean post removes from rod holders and is stowed in locker when not in use. 

584E406F-58AF-4C81-A30B-F54070C6A4BA.jpeg

919D8116-451B-416C-A2ED-E9C0857DC74D.jpeg

9368B762-448A-48CB-B19F-B732F7927623.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

Congrats on the new sled. Looks great. Only neg I see is the wiring in the console. A mess. Think by now it would be more orderly and marked like other manuf have done.

Yes, I did go through and put some labels on things for future reference 

6A5767D1-B0FA-4541-A56C-1260846C331C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, fin-addict said:

Congrats on the new sled. Looks great. Only neg I see is the wiring in the console. A mess. Think by now it would be more orderly and marked like other manuf have done.

funny you mention that…..I was cruising at 4500 rpm other day and Yama 250 SHO just shut down. Started back up and carried on. Today, battery switch on position 2 would read 13.5 volts but when selected voltage would drop off and disconnect. I thought the fat positive and negative wires were direct from battery2 to switch. After poking around with a volt meter and determining the battery 2 voltage was good, just not getting to the battery switch…..I found the negative buss bar buried back in the console…….battery 2 fat wire was loose.