Rusty Hook Report - Choko North

I've been striking out more and more....I've totally lost the Mojo...

Good news, I don't seem to be alone....

1.) Not live baiting

2.) Fishing hard...moving every 12-20 minutes when I can't find the bite....which means a lot

Decided to head north on Saturday a.m.

Put in at the rod and gun...

Bought my shrimp at the Everglades Bait - the lovely wife of the capt who runs the shop said the bite is still off - South limited action reports...Thursday, bite almost nonexistent for the reds...

Ran out of Barron River...low tide so I decided to see how how she'll run...

We can across the bay without a hitch in the skinny mini and went to LaneCove - Nada - Fergueson River Area - Nada...

Picked up and ran from the back up to Tiger and made my way back..found a nice trout bite on the back-side of some clean incoming tide...15-20 trout...95% under slot...but, action anyways....gulps working the charm...but, no reds...

Moved along the backside and decided to explore a bit as the tide was coming in...ran through the upper West Gate p*** and found a spot where there was a large bank of mangroves with a p*** between...

Hit some nice legal sized trout and snapper...

Staked out behind a mangrove with the dual PP"s (I love em) and we put out come chunks...

Rod screams over and my buddy Robert grabs the St Croix with a stradic with 20 lb pp....the line goes straight for the bank like a freight train...i'm thinking one of 3 things...large red, large grouper, large golaith...

we up PP"s and get the TM ready to chase the fish...I tell Robert, "go slack and do not put pressure on the fish".....he'll eventually come out....and after what seemed like 1/2 an hour, in reality was about 2 minutes, the line begins to move back into the p***...

Robert goes tight and game back on....i'm chasing the fish with the TM as he moves about 20 yards into another mangrove bank, I PP down, and robert is able to turn his head....I'm hitting the TM Ultegraa up and down and Robert is dancing on the bow not to get hit as the fish is running under and around the bow and we didn't want it to catch the TM...

Eventually, he tires.....and we see his colors...25lb or so Goliath...ugggh.

I grab the Hibernet which we were having problems with so we could get a boat side pic...but, it explodes in my hand, Robert is trying to control the beast....as it rolls and gurgles each time it's coming up.....the current at this point is screaming...I reach down to net it with only the frame....

and...........................

Viola - Adios Amigos.....

With a sharp splash of his tail...he gave us the "tail finger" and said good buy...enough fun for you guys...

On the way back in we talked to some guys who said they camped for 3 days...again, same report..2 other boats at the dock came in same as us...they fished the front....same reports....

Let's hope the bite changes soon....at least for this rusty hook :)

Back again next week with my buddy from Sarasota....gona try one more time....

Until the next time....

dc

Sounds like a good trip anyway Dino. I'd be happy to just be able to get back down there. Maybe late April. Good to hear the boats working out so well for you. Been watching the work progress - looking mighty fine!

The Skinny Mini has turned out to be EXACTLY WHAT I'VE WANTED...

I wanted a skiff that I didn't have to worry about chipping or dinging....I plan on fishing it till i can't fish anymore.....she'll be named Last Rodeo soon...

I wanted a skiff that was light to handle and pull, and that I could buy cheap and put on the goodies i wanted....I've always wanted the two PP's which work unbelievable in the boat and the ulterra which works even better than expected...

with 80lbs of thrust not the lil skinny mini...she runs 3.5 mph and allows me to drop 100 yards from a fishing spot and troll over in just a few seconds....as well, there is no current i cannot auto anchor into...

in the event i do run too shallow, i can push her off in most cases or wait for just a bit of tide....

the side console allows me and my buddies to stretch out and I've purchased a few WM large seats with backrests and are really comfortable....no more banging the side console and having rods caught in the plier wires....

Still trying to figure out what's the best weight config...but, after 3 trips, we are getting it down...

She's drawing probably about a true 7-8 inches, but, will in about the 8-10 inches when up on plane as there is not much in the water with the tunnel other than the lower unit...

She's wet, and doesn't like a chop....but, I knew that going into the game and I don't mind getting wet....and if it's really blowing, I'm not fishing anyways...

It limit's my fishing locations, e.g. no beach chasing snook or tarpon, etc..but, that's normally not what i do anyways....and i'll have to pick my days to cross biscayne bay to take the wife out for a day on the water.....but, again, that 10% of my boat use and 90% is calm water conditions...

DC

Archived