1979 Berg Maverick Project

GmikeHall

I can sure understand if they had a reason which they very well must have to delete them from the previous year which had them. I may consider extending them all the way back being I am already going to be doing a decent amount of work on the bottom. I even considered putting a nice pad on the bottom to really boost performance at speed but I am trying to keep all the creative juices to a minimum not to create something that the boat was never intended to be. As for the strakes, I may extend them back for a little extra strength as well as a little more solid grip in certain conditions. 

Hull has been dustless blasted to remove the bottom paint and the barrier primer that was under it. The bottom paint came off pretty easy but the primer was a little tougher. The bottom had small damage all over it but nothing horrible at all. I am so impressed it just how straight the lines are on this 43 year old hull. I have seen much newer hulls have dips and waves all in the strakes and bottom but this thing is very nice and straight. I am going to get the hull down to my shop soon and start grinding out damage and making the repairs. Most all the repairs will be fixed with epoxy faring compound but there are a few areas that need a little more building up such as on the keel. Sure is nice to have a clean bottom to work on now and it was well worth the $350 to get it blasted. 

290857083_10227473580282767_1722331951437379526_n.jpeg

290492601_10227473580842781_1431181892382253105_n.jpeg

290540176_10227474123056336_9119817918787259182_n.jpeg

290739095_10227474814833630_319503071351527222_n.jpeg

• Like 2

Yep, I am liking the clean slate to work with as I would have about been worn ut if i kept stripped the bottom by hand. There is a lot of work to be done on the bottom. Cracks all in the gencloat and even some kevlar showing in a few areas of bad rash on the keel and some of the strakes have foam exposed so I have plenty to work on. It looks like the hull was built with a skin coat of CSM then the strakes filled with some pretty dense foam and then it was all glassed over with multi layers of CMS and Kevlar. The glass on the strakes is super thin so I would not expect it to be much more than the skin coat of the layup thick. 

20220628_141318.jpg

20220628_141313.jpg

20220628_141105.jpg

20220628_141059.jpg

20220628_141133.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Man, that's amazing.   It looks like you are getting a clean foundation to build on - really appreciate you taking the time to take/post pics and updates.   A lot of folks on here really enjoy these threads!

Only reason I stay on The Hull Truth is to watch the rebuild threads. Very glad people do them here too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GmikeHall said:

Yep, I am liking the clean slate to work with as I would have about been worn ut if i kept stripped the bottom by hand. There is a lot of work to be done on the bottom. Cracks all in the gencloat and even some kevlar showing in a few areas of bad rash on the keel and some of the strakes have foam exposed so I have plenty to work on. It looks like the hull was built with a skin coat of CSM then the strakes filled with some pretty dense foam and then it was all glassed over with multi layers of CMS and Kevlar. The glass on the strakes is super thin so I would not expect it to be much more than the skin coat of the layup thick. 

20220628_141318.jpg

20220628_141313.jpg

20220628_141105.jpg

20220628_141059.jpg

20220628_141133.jpg

Man, those cracks would scare the heck out of me. You are a braver man than I!!   Can’t wait to see the repairs!

The cracks look bad but its just the gelcoat and a little in the skin coat. You do not see any cracks from the inside through the kevlar. The goal is to lay another layer of glass on the inside over the kevlar then adding a bit more to the stringer grind system to really stiffen up the bottom. I believe I have read that kevlar allows for more flex without cracking but the gelcoat and glass can not handle it as much which is why it cracked on the bottom. To fix this I will just stiffen up the bottom so it does not flex anymore. The strakes are going to be a bit of work as the glass layup is so thin on them. I may end up having to glass over the strakes completely which isn't a bad idea anyhow. Once I get time I will get the hull inside and start grinding out the cracks and damage and making a plan on how to fix them. Again, What you see on the bottom is not a big deal if you can get things strengthened up from the inside. 

8 minutes ago, GmikeHall said:

The cracks look bad but its just the gelcoat and a little in the skin coat. You do not see any cracks from the inside through the kevlar. The goal is to lay another layer of glass on the inside over the kevlar then adding a bit more to the stringer grind system to really stiffen up the bottom. I believe I have read that kevlar allows for more flex without cracking but the gelcoat and glass can not handle it as much which is why it cracked on the bottom. To fix this I will just stiffen up the bottom so it does not flex anymore. The strakes are going to be a bit of work as the glass layup is so thin on them. I may end up having to glass over the strakes completely which isn't a bad idea anyhow. Once I get time I will get the hull inside and start grinding out the cracks and damage and making a plan on how to fix them. Again, What you see on the bottom is not a big deal if you can get things strengthened up from the inside. 

That's why I love these threads.    Remind me that just about anything is fixable if you know what you are doing and have time, patience, and money.   Keep going!   

I took some measurements and It looks like I can get about 48 gallons in the stock fuel tank area. I would safe it will be easy to get 45 gallon and have plenty of wiggle room for mounting. I was going to just find a good suitable Moeller fuel tank but I believe on this project I will just get an custom built aluminum tank.

Berg Maverick Fuel tank 48 gallon.PNG

• Like 1

I took some measurements and It looks like I can get about 48 gallons in the stock fuel tank area. I would safe it will be easy to get 45 gallon and have plenty of wiggle room for mounting. I was going to just find a good suitable Moeller fuel tank but I believe on this project I will just get an custom built aluminum tank.

Berg Maverick Fuel tank 48 gallon.PNG

are you going to have it rhino lined?  45 gallons is a lot, especially if you go w/ a 4 stroke.   My MA has a 40 gallon tank and a thirsty 2 stroke 150.   I have never been in a situation where I wished for more capacity (but have wished for a less thirsty engine!)>

Is Rhino lining aluminum tanks the popular thing to do now or is coal tar epoxy still the best? I have not look into it that far. As far as the overall tank size, Its just shy of 7 cuft and there is 7.4 gallon per cuft so really there is room for 51 gallons and these measurements are for a tank that would fit but somewhat tight in the stock place. If I remove 1" from around the whole tank I would still have 45 gallons or so of capacity. I will explore this further once I get to that part of the project. I was just getting some ideas. 

Cold tar epoxy would be my choice.  
I am sure you know, but the key is keeping it dry.  Any tank will rot, regardless of coating if it sits in or is surrounded by moisture.  I don’t like to foam in a tank.  Get tabs welded on to secure it and find something to support it off the bottom so air can flow (glued down starboard pucks work well) 

Although its a long way off I went ahead and ordered some carbon/kevlar fabric to line the bottom of all the hatches with. I seem to recall there were some maverick's made with visible carbon/kevlar on the under side of the hatches and being this is a kevlar hull I may as well stick with the theme. I even have ideas on building a complete carbon fiber poling platform to really make things cool and yes save some weight as well. I am considering building all new hatch lids being they are so simple to begin with. It would almost be easier to make the simple molds and lay up whole new hatches than to remove the core and refinish these original hatches. I may work with the bow hatch as its not quite as simple but it wouldn't be hard to duplicate if needed. I want to create an embossed (Berg Maverick) logo on the bottom side of the hatches to add a little more style and might as well being this is going to be a top quality boat when done. I just love this kind of stuff and I think I enjoy projects more than I actually enjoy using that which I am working on. I am freshly off a 2010 F250 Cummins swap build and already jumping into this Maverick project which is going to be pretty involved. I am a gluten for punishment if doing this kind of thing is considered punishment. hahaha

carbon kevlar fabric.jpeg

• Like 1

Although its a long way off I went ahead and ordered some carbon/kevlar fabric to line the bottom of all the hatches with. I seem to recall there were some maverick's made with visible carbon/kevlar on the under side of the hatches and being this is a kevlar hull I may as well stick with the theme. I even have ideas on building a complete carbon fiber poling platform to really make things cool and yes save some weight as well. I am considering building all new hatch lids being they are so simple to begin with. It would almost be easier to make the simple molds and lay up whole new hatches than to remove the core and refinish these original hatches. I may work with the bow hatch as its not quite as simple but it wouldn't be hard to duplicate if needed. I want to create an embossed (Berg Maverick) logo on the bottom side of the hatches to add a little more style and might as well being this is going to be a top quality boat when done. I just love this kind of stuff and I think I enjoy projects more than I actually enjoy using that which I am working on. I am freshly off a 2010 F250 Cummins swap build and already jumping into this Maverick project which is going to be pretty involved. I am a gluten for punishment if doing this kind of thing is considered punishment. hahaha

carbon kevlar fabric.jpeg

Dude, you are my hero.   I am really looking forward to watching this.

I sure as heck do not need to be viewed as a hero. I think I have a chemical imbalance that causes me to take on huge projects. I am just able to see a finished product in my mind where as most people just get scared off by the very things that excite me. haha I always have a lot of irons in the fire and nothing is ever a simple process with me. I will take an otherwise simple project and morph it into vastly more than what is needed but that is just what happens when you are full of ideas.....haha

I saw this tan colored maverick and got me thinking maybe I should paint this one the same color so it kind of matches my truck. haha Now I am not hell bent on things matching but I kind of like the tan color as its modest not too flashy and different. I appreciate uniqueness and not too many tan Mavericks out there. Just like there are not too many white and tan Common rail cummins powered F250s out there...=) 

White tan Master Angler.jpeg

273593210_10226697755767639_529096705852938858_n.jpeg

I think I know that poor tan maverick - went for sale a few years ago - turned out it had massive damage to the transom.    Like you said, not many tan Mavericks out there.   It would look cool behind that truck, I know a lot of Bass fishermen that match their boat and truck.   Course, they also put glitter in their gel coat, so there is no accounting for taste.   

• Haha 1

No updates but I have been slowly collecting needed materials and tools to continue with this project. I bought some diamond grit burrs to start grinding out cracks in gelcoat in preparation for preparing them with epoxy faring compound. There are areas that will need glass reinforcements added but a lot of the cracks are just minor with no underlying damage to the glass under them. 

I should have the cylinder head back from the machine shop for the 2016 Suzuki Df115 SS that I am rebuilding. I purchased the engine a couple years back and just not getting around to fixing it. It has a cracked cylinder head which I had to replace with a good used unit. I figured I might as well get it surfaced and a good old fashion valve job done before putting this engine back together. 

• Like 1

What are thoughts on installing a really really big fuel tank in this boat? I mean I guess you never have to fill it up but the capacity would be there so what harm would come of it? The reason for this question is because I just happen to have a 70 gallon Moeller fuel tank which I had bought for a previous project that was sold. The tank is brand new and I paid a lot of money for it. I had not considered it being from memory it was just way too big but honestly it would fit nicely with only moving the dividing bulkhead that was behind the original fuel tank. The more I toss around the idea the more I like the idea of just using this tank as it couldnt really hurt anything right? 

93117216_10221590665613577_4418902202278477824_n.jpeg

21 hours ago, GmikeHall said:

What are thoughts on installing a really really big fuel tank in this boat? I mean I guess you never have to fill it up but the capacity would be there so what harm would come of it? The reason for this question is because I just happen to have a 70 gallon Moeller fuel tank which I had bought for a previous project that was sold. The tank is brand new and I paid a lot of money for it. I had not considered it being from memory it was just way too big but honestly it would fit nicely with only moving the dividing bulkhead that was behind the original fuel tank. The more I toss around the idea the more I like the idea of just using this tank as it couldnt really hurt anything right? 

There may be no issue at all, but I would explore two possible issues before you put it in:

1)  Condensation - I understand that storing fuel in a tank is worse if the tank is only partially full, because it allows for more condensation.   No idea how this works or if ti's a factor, but look into it.

2)  Balance could be pretty funky with fuel sloshing way forward and way back.   That a lot of room for a little gas to move around.   

3)  How will the fit with the existing stringers?  Will you be required to compromise strength to get it to work with the bulkheads?   

The other consideration - probably not something for you to be concerned about - is removing that thing in the future.   half the deck would need to come out.   Depending on where you put it, that may not be a problem.      

My vote (but not my money!) is get the tank that is right for the boat.  With the work you are doing, putting in a tank that is clearly more than you will ever need (by far!) seems like an unnecessary compromise that may create unforeseen challenges later.    

On the other hand, when the Florida Skiff Challenge happens next year, you could really do well in it with this hull and that fuel tank!

On 7/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, GmikeHall said:

My 21 Maverick held around 60-62 gallons. I loved having that much fuel available.  With that said… the 21 is considerably wider and displaced the weight well.  I am curious how an 18 would be with 70 gallons below deck.  

Thanks for the input....I honestly have no issue getting a correct size tank, I just had this one and no one seems to want to buy it and I figured maybe I should just use it. I am leaning towards getting a custom aluminum tank made at about 40 gallons which is slightly more than the factory 32 gallon tank but I am going to keep it in the same space and just utilize more of the available space. The DF115 should sip on fuel anyhow. I am so eager to get everything in place and the hull inside out of the weather so I can start the repairs and bottom work. I have a lot of work cut out for me on fixing the strakes and cracks but I am glad there is no damage that is due to structural issues and its only cosmetic. 

• Like 1