Electronics for 18’ Hewes

Hewes Hunt

12 hours ago, Hewes Hunt said:

I been a Garmin guy a long time but their service is not good!

Surprising. Whenever I have questions they take as much time as needed to walk me through. Has even told me to get on boat and follow their directions. Done over and all good. Has sent me updates free of charge, received within two days and told to keep, no sending back. 

I have it on a 2000 18' bayfisher... easy to use.. I've had garmin most of my life and any other garmin user can hop on boat and know what they're doing...it is mounted on top of console with a balzout mount... which I highly recommend... I mounted the transducer in the pocket low and far right of the drain...that location minimizes the spray issue of the transducer and gives a good reading for side view on both sides of the boat.  Many have talked about using a transom saver here on the forum, I would suggest one as well.

15 hours ago, jim33042 said:

mounted on top of console with a balzout mount

Have any photos of this? Curious as to what that mount looks like installed.

I have a 94sv... screen could be higher res and the interface could be more intuitive but it gets the job done no problem.  I got it because a friend gave me 50% off on a new one. 

If I were to do it again and paying full price, I would pony up and get one of those brand new Simrad finders (NSX, I think).  Screen resolution is noticeable if you have a recent iPhone, good desktop monitor or 4k TV.