Forward Hatch Battery Storage BF 16

croakersmoker

I have a 1997 Bayfisher 16, I have the original fuel tank in the front hatch. I am about to repower and need to move my house battery forward to balance out the new engine. Does anyone store their battery in the front hatch? I am looking for pictures to get an idea of what needs to be built. I planned on making some sort of false floor to glue into the bottom of the hatch. I didn't have much of an idea beyond that. I was going to keep all of my switches and relays in the rear hatch, so I would just need to run jumpers from the battery back to that hatch. My current jumper within the hatch is 4 gauge. Do you think this size wire would be adequate to make a 16' run? Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Croak,    16 Redfisher ...... I have the starting battery in the console with group 24 + group 27 trolling batteries in the forward hatch.  The previous owner had the trolling batteries up there, mounted directly to the floor of the hatch ..... apparently they had been  there for years with no ill effects to the plastic hatch liner.    I used 2 ga. wire from the rear hatch battery switch / engine to the console and the starting battery.  Not sure this is mandatory, just FYI on my setup ..... seems to be working well.

jb

I don't have a redfisher, but I would think about putting the weight up front I would go the console route.  My reason is I put a trolling motor on the bow of my 20 LT and it is now running bow heavy. I now have a tough time trimming out when running at high speed. Your boat may not have this issue,but try putting  weight up there like sand bags to simulate your battery weight. Better safe that sorry. Hope this helpful.

Thanks @polliwog Since I am adding 100lbs of four stroke to my transom, I was doing this as an attempt to balance that weight. I plan on doing some extensive prop testing with the new engine and should be able to get plenty of lift from the right prop. I am more concerned about eliminating stern squat when trying to float shallow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any testing until I have the new motor installed. I was hoping to have this rerouted before then. The motor will be on by the end of next week. I'll wait to move batteries and report back with my results.

If I were to put that much weight inside older hatches on the floor, I would definately reinforce it with a large cut out of starboard...1 " thick and even put a 1/8 " sheet of aluminum over it......this would prevent any cracking as it bounches....but, it would depend on your assessment of the hatches....

Just a thought...

dc

• Like 1

I have a group 27 and 2 AGMs for the TM up front.  They are in battery boxes, sitting on the floor, and the charger is also up there.  I also replaced my fuel tank with a 29 gallon that was manufactured by the original manufacturer and designed to go in without cutting the deck.  

I repowered with a Suzuki DF90, and this setup is great weight distribution.  

1994 16 Bonefisher

7 minutes ago, Just Gin said:

I have a group 27 and 2 AGMs for the TM up front.  They are in battery boxes, sitting on the floor, and the charger is also up there.  I also replaced my fuel tank with a 29 gallon that was manufactured by the original manufacturer and designed to go in without cutting the deck.  

I repowered with a Suzuki DF90, and this setup is great weight distribution.  

1994 16 Bonefisher

Great information! Do you have a subfloor in your front hatch? Mine does not, so I don't currently have a flat surface to mount batteries to. 

I do not.  They rest in their respective boxes straddled across the v.  The two boxes are the same size.  The Group 27is aft against the fuel take straddled across the v.  The 2 AGMs are forward of that along the length of the v.  Plenty or room remains up there for jackets and a landing net.  

I'll see about getting you some photos later. 

Croak - you mentioned prop.  As part of the exercise aimed at reducing squat ( relocating batteries ) , I also changed to a  4 blade 'stern lift' prop from Powertech.  Marcus, at Powertech, was a great resource and helped guide me through that process.  I ended up with an SCD4 -16.  Will try to get a pic of the forward hatch / batteries posted later today.

jb

• 2 weeks later...