Search all of Craigslist...

MA18Colorado

MAColorado, I hope very much that they NEVER do that. Man, I would be the first one to order, would put myself in the poor house, and then end up divorced.

It would be nice to see them back in production. Every time I take someone out on mine, they gush about the ride, the fishability, and the practicality of it.

And, man, I've been putting some SERIOUS fish in the boat lately.

Same outcome over here, but it would be cool, nonetheless. I would miss her. I think there is a country song about this.

One change I would make to the MA design (while we are dreaming) is an accessible fuel tank. It would be awesome to have some way to remove the console easily and the fuel cell could be under there, so you would not have to cut out the floor to replace at some point in the future. The hull would come with the best fuel tank set up possible (aluminum and epoxy coated, etc.), but you could get to it if you needed to.

Same outcome over here, but it would be cool, nonetheless. I would miss her. I think there is a country song about this.

One change I would make to the MA design (while we are dreaming) is an accessible fuel tank. It would be awesome to have some way to remove the console easily and the fuel cell could be under there, so you would not have to cut out the floor to replace at some point in the future. The hull would come with the best fuel tank set up possible (aluminum and epoxy coated, etc.), but you could get to it if you needed to.

The wife or the current boat? :confused: :laugh:

Wife, but I would never leave either, so something else would have to give...

Please post photos of your connector setup. There has to be engineering out there that would allow 1) a solid connection system, 2) that also allowed disconnection so that the console could be removed, that 3) allowed access below the console and access to the fuel cell, while 4) also being watertight so that water could not access via the console.

These guys have seen those photo's a 100 times.

They're probably sick of seeing them.

I did send you a link.

The Deutsch connectors on the right side is where all the wires from the boat ended up getting installed.

The console is literally a "Plug-N-Play",

with the exception of hydraulic steering lines & throttle cables.

I will take a stab, and then you help me get perspective on it.

I think that it would make sense from all ends. From the end user perspective, owners would be able to better maintain our boats, and that would be safer, and allow our boats to last longer.

From the mfg. end, they would have less liability due to building a 'safer' hull, and would also be known for producing a more owner friendly boat. More boats remaining in circulation could result in better optics to the public as these boats would be perceived to hold their value longer and be less expensive to maintain over the long term, hence driving up the new and aftermarket prices.

1) It is very time consuming to wire and rig any boat as such.

2) It would increase the sticker price by a margin not sure the manufacturers would want to incur.

3) Manufacturers only see a boat once, usually, and that's during production unless there is some major structural issue otherwise the dealer will have to deal with it.

4) Boats are expensive enough as it is and for the majority of people the original purchaser "New" won't own the boat that long.

5)If the manufacturers said sure but it will cost you an additional $5K, would you or anybody else say, Sure?

All in all, yes it would be much easier for future removal of the CC but don't see any manufacturers building or rigging the wiring as such unless specially ordered. $$$$$$$$$

MA Colorado, your comments reminded me of something. I always felt like MBC has a HUGE untapped opportunity. With millions of boat manufacturers that have come and gone, there are very few that can boast having so many 20-30 year old boats out on the water still. A quick scan down the users on this forum shows how many "vintage" boats are out there still getting bought and sold today for a pretty penny.

There has to be a way for MBC to better capitalize on this fact - in advertising certainly, but even more so in owner loyalty. A lot of folks (like me) don't have the scratch to buy a brand new Maverick at 50K, but my '87 will probably sell for what I've got it for, and if/when I sell it, you can bet I'll be "upgrading" to a newer year cl***. And when I sell that, I will probably do the same again. Someday, I'll move up to the "2nd owner" cl***, and ultimately, when I'm about 150 years old and have won the lottery, I can make the leap to the 1st owner cl***.

[color:blue]Ok, here comes my idealism.[/color]

1) It is very time consuming to wire and rig any boat as such.

[color:blue]Agree with you here. With current methods yes, but that is part of my point. Seems like much of the boat building process is ad hoc/job-shopped. With some thoughtful re-engineering of the process I just wonder if boat design, manufacturing speed, and quality control could all be improved at the same time. Modular consoles built/wired/tested as plug and play units on a bench could provide some advantages. Given Maverick's current 24 hour schedule to keep up with demand (per Scott), I would think that pushing towards more and more of an ***embly line process would be advantageous and actually work to speed things up and reduce cost.[/color]

2) It would increase the sticker price by a margin not sure the manufacturers would want to incur.

[color:blue]Maybe, but maybe not. It might reduce some costs in the long run due to efficiency gains.[/color]

3) Manufacturers only see a boat once, usually, and that's during production unless there is some major structural issue otherwise the dealer will have to deal with it.

[color:blue]

Right, true there. Better to have the dealer network have easier access to all parts of the boat by having accessible fuel tank, removable console.[/color]

4) Boats are expensive enough as it is and for the majority of people the original purchaser "New" won't own the boat that long.

[color:blue]Also dead on. Boats are expensive. Crazy expensive. Everything seems to be getting more expensive all the time. I want a boat that I can maintain for a long, long time. Others do too.[/color]

5)If the manufacturers said sure but it will cost you an additional $5K, would you or anybody else say, Sure?

[color:blue]

That is where our paths diverge. I have a suspicion that it could bring costs down to make these changes. The amount of wire is the same. The amount of material is pretty much the same. Labor could potentially be reduced. Heck, I have seen your rebuild posts, and I know you know WAY more than most all of us on this board regarding how this could work. I am just suggesting that by Maverick spending some R & D dollars now on clever engineering it might just help me out a few years down the road when I want to buy another Maverick...and it has a removable console and accessible fuel tank, among other clever and innovative considerations (that you actually helped develop through your restorations).

Fun to think about what future Mavericks will look like, isn't it? Great beer drinking topic. I guess I have just been so inspired by your work and the work of others on the forums that it would be cool to see all of it rolled up into a single boat.

[/color]

Completely, completely agree with you here. Maverick has tons and tons of material for a heritage based marketing campaign. Those who know, know that Maverick has pioneered everything about skiff design, but for those who don't troll the internet for every Scott Deal/Maverick history article (read: I do that), tapping into some of the romanticism ***ociated with the early days of say, mold design or hearing about late night conversations in the shop talking about layouts and fiber and epoxies, and then those guys who worked so hard on it, finally feeling the very first Master Angler cut through chop cleanly...man, that stuff is awesome.

Incorporating an owner profile marketing campaign would be sweet. Even limiting it to a paragraph that described what an owner's Maverick means to them would be awesome. That might be a great thread here on the forum. Write a paragraph about how your Maverick has improved your life. Mine sits in the driveway here in Colorado, but every time I look at it, it makes me happy, because it reminds me of freedom and exploration.

Archived