2001 Cobia 256 Coastal Deck - no instruments

Pete Sabre

Hi All. 

I'm looking for help on Cobia with no instruments. The previous owner sold the boat and at delivery stated that all instruments just stopped working. We suspect a fuse or battery switch, but the boat has only one battery and we cannot find in-line fuses (all connectors and obvious fuses were checked. The boat starts and operates fine. Any help? 

I posted this on the other thread you asked…

There is no info on the prior Cobia models when the company sold to MBG.. 

A 25’ boat would always have 2 batteries, thinking logically. If the battery switch is 1-2-All, then it was wired for two. If the switch is only on/off, then it may have had only one. Does it have twin engines or a single ?

I don’t think the problem is the battery switch. Any switch should be wired for the whole system unless they ran wires to just one pole later.

Your friend needs to do the basic electrical tracing: check power, grounds and switches.. 

MM

With a 20 year old boat, your best bet would be to get a multimeter and check for power to the switch and the grounds.

Perhaps another member can suggest a good meter to get, then watch a YouTube video on how to use it.. Best way to fix electrical glitches.. 

MM

13 hours ago, Moderator said:

I posted this on the other thread you asked…

There is no info on the prior Cobia models when the company sold to MBG.. 

A 25’ boat would always have 2 batteries, thinking logically. If the battery switch is 1-2-All, then it was wired for two. If the switch is only on/off, then it may have had only one. Does it have twin engines or a single ?

I don’t think the problem is the battery switch. Any switch should be wired for the whole system unless they ran wires to just one pole later.

Your friend needs to do the basic electrical tracing: check power, grounds and switches.. 

MM

With a 20 year old boat, your best bet would be to get a multimeter and check for power to the switch and the grounds.

Perhaps another member can suggest a good meter to get, then watch a YouTube video on how to use it.. Best way to fix electrical glitches.. 

MM

I will Post back what we found. Maybe we help others...