St Simons Sound Tripletail

Hobo

Went out this morning just to "get out on the water"...  It's been crazy hot here so far this summer with heat indexes every single day topping 100 degrees...  Right at 06:30 AM this morning I launched my PF, the HOBO, at the Mackay River ramp just off the St Simons Island Causeway.  Picked up a quart of shrimp from St Simons Marina then headed south.  First stop was a favorite day marker when first entering the St Simons sound...  The tide was slack with it being dead low...  The third cast was the charm as the float slowly eased down and away...  Fish on!  Immediately began easing the HOBO backwards and away from the navigational aid to ensure the tripletail couldn't get away by circling back around the marker, one of their favorite elusive tactics.  It took probably 10-15 minutes to deposit this evening's main course inside the cooler...  Regardless of what might be ahead for the rest of the trip my day was already a success in my book..  Fishing for these elusive fish has become perhaps my favorite and most rewarding pastime..  The tripletail have also become my most absolute favorite fish to eat,,,, even better than the flounder...  Ended up the trip just before noon having fished various drops all the way around Jekyll Island ending up with half a dozen 2–3-pound trout and one of the biggest pompano I've ever caught...  The water temperature ranged from 84.4 at launch time to 87.4 degrees when I took out..  Unusually hot for these waters...

Thank you, Lord, for a great day!!!  Thank you, Pathfinder, for such a GREAT boat!!530489017_Kennwith16.5Tripletail1.thumb.jpeg.c6ccc784c44a2d9fd0bb23a210e7c46f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:56 PM, Hobo said:

Went out this morning just to "get out on the water"...  It's been crazy hot here so far this summer with heat indexes every single day topping 100 degrees...  Right at 06:30 AM this morning I launched my PF, the HOBO, at the Mackay River ramp just off the St Simons Island Causeway.  Picked up a quart of shrimp from St Simons Marina then headed south.  First stop was a favorite day marker when first entering the St Simons sound...  The tide was slack with it being dead low...  The third cast was the charm as the float slowly eased down and away...  Fish on!  Immediately began easing the HOBO backwards and away from the navigational aid to ensure the tripletail couldn't get away by circling back around the marker, one of their favorite elusive tactics.  It took probably 10-15 minutes to deposit this evening's main course inside the cooler...  Regardless of what might be ahead for the rest of the trip my day was already a success in my book..  Fishing for these elusive fish has become perhaps my favorite and most rewarding pastime..  The tripletail have also become my most absolute favorite fish to eat,,,, even better than the flounder...  Ended up the trip just before noon having fished various drops all the way around Jekyll Island ending up with half a dozen 2–3-pound trout and one of the biggest pompano I've ever caught...  The water temperature ranged from 84.4 at launch time to 87.4 degrees when I took out..  Unusually hot for these waters...

Thank you, Lord, for a great day!!!  Thank you, Pathfinder, for such a GREAT boat!!530489017_Kennwith16.5Tripletail1.thumb.jpeg.c6ccc784c44a2d9fd0bb23a210e7c46f.jpeg

So far....all we are catching is the 20” ers ......no big girls are showing up.

C6F68530-279D-4D28-B7E3-600CD88E43C1.jpeg

• Like 1