Jump to content

16 bay fisher with 90 SHO. WHAT PROP?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Hunter york said:

What prop do y’all recommend running with this combination? Having trouble getting the right one. 

"Having trouble" means you have some valuable information that could help us help you, and that's a good thing.  Which props have you tried (make, model, pitch size, blade count)?  What was the maximum RPM and top speed reached with each one, with a light load, just you driving, motor trimmed up slightly, trim tabs up (not deployed or barely deployed to calm down porpoising)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@geeviam @Hunter york 

I have a 97 bay fisher 16 with a 90 SHO and was about to start the same thread. Let's keep the discussion going here. 

I just picked my new engine up and finished break in on a 3 blade powertech 13" 17p. Here's my results:

-Tons of grip, cant blow out in a turn at any speed

-Violent hole shot, on plane in one boat length with tabs down.

-With tabs up, I can barely trim the engine before it blows out

-Hardly any stern lift at speed

-Can very easily hit the rev limiter

-37 MPH @6000 RPM

27 MPH @ 4800 RPM

While I've enjoyed the hole shot, I'm going up to a three blade 19p prop this week to test. I even considered a 21p...

I am looking for top speed and fuel economy while being able to hop on plane pretty quickly and maintain control through turns. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Hardly any stern lift at speed"

this may be the model of PT prop you're using... 

I have a PT nrs3r17, which I believe was stated as a mid rise bow lift... when I running the bow is closer to the water line and overall the boat hull is running more parallel to the water line... I had an old Yamaha turbo prop that was lots of bow lift..  I didn't like running with that much lift.

this prop has great grip, even in turns - but remember that our hulls turn better if you trim slightly down before going into a tight turn.  Hole shot is pretty much as you describe..short and quick, without any tabs... the turbo was old and it was twice the distance for planing. I feel the PT prop has decent stern lift as there are times I realize with just me in the boat, a full live well helps.

I believe my older19 provided better fuel efficiency than the 17.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks! I’m willing to loose holeshot for added speed. We make 60-90 mile trips pretty often in Louisiana and we mostly run deeper bayous between shallow spots. I think the bow lift is fine compared to my last prop. It’s just enough to hold the bow down in a small chop without tabs when the motor is trimmed down all the way. I was more describing the stern of the boat. My old prop would get most of the stern out of the water and my hull would ride higher in general. I’m not sure if this is a function of prop or just overall speed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, croakersmoker said:

Thanks! I’m willing to loose holeshot for added speed. We make 60-90 mile trips pretty often in Louisiana and we mostly run deeper bayous between shallow spots. I think the bow lift is fine compared to my last prop. It’s just enough to hold the bow down in a small chop without tabs when the motor is trimmed down all the way. I was more describing the stern of the boat. My old prop would get most of the stern out of the water and my hull would ride higher in general. I’m not sure if this is a function of prop or just overall speed. 

Copied from a similar thread I posted on:

Sounds like you're on the right track.  A 3-blade 19 pitch should work best.  I think the 21 pitch will be too much.

Here's a reasonably priced prop that provides lift, grip and great top-end speed:

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/933419-ballistic-xhs-boat-propeller

I recommend the XHS II® (Drop-In Hub) Kit #203 for fitment with your Yamaha as well.

------------------------------------

In addition to the prop mentioned above - if you have the patience and are willing to search for a used Yamaha Pro Series (K-size) 19 pitch or Evinrude Raker (V4 size) 20 pitch, and then send it off to a prop expert to be tuned and balanced, you will have the ultimate hole-shot, best fuel economy, fastest top speed prop in your neck of the woods (unless you live near me, haha!).  Note: the Evinrude Raker must have a different 15-spline rubber hub pressed in to fit the Yamaha prop shaft.  The Yamaha Pro Series prop is definitely the easier way to go.  Powertech makes a replica called the PRO3 which would also be worth a try.  Only thing is the Powertech has a little more mass to it so it's a bit heavier and may not spin up to the same maximum RPM.

But, if you just want a good 3-blade 19 pitch that works well right out of the box and is not expensive, get the Michigan Wheel Ballistic I mentioned above.  If you like it, but want just a little quicker hole-shot you can have 5/16" vent ports drilled, to spin-up faster when you punch the throttle.  Hope this helps!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, croakersmoker said:

@geeviam @Hunter york 

I have a 97 bay fisher 16 with a 90 SHO and was about to start the same thread. Let's keep the discussion going here. 

I just picked my new engine up and finished break in on a 3 blade powertech 13" 17p. Here's my results:

-Tons of grip, cant blow out in a turn at any speed

-Violent hole shot, on plane in one boat length with tabs down.

-With tabs up, I can barely trim the engine before it blows out

-Hardly any stern lift at speed

-Can very easily hit the rev limiter

-37 MPH @6000 RPM

27 MPH @ 4800 RPM

While I've enjoyed the hole shot, I'm going up to a three blade 19p prop this week to test. I even considered a 21p...

I am looking for top speed and fuel economy while being able to hop on plane pretty quickly and maintain control through turns. 

 

I have an SCD3R18P. This is what power tech recommended for this boat and at 6000 rpms I hit 41 mph

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hunter york said:

I have an SCD3R18P. This is what power tech recommended for this boat and at 6000 rpms I hit 41 mph

That's pretty good Hunter!  Does it feel like your motor is hitting the rev limiter and capping the RPMs at 6000 when you have a little more throttle left?  If not, then you've probably got the correct pitch for that model prop on your rig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@geeviam @Hunter york I hooked up the 19p 3 blade today and got to testing. I still can't believe the results I got! This is in sloppy conditions. Not rough, just not what you look for to reach top speeds. Well at 6250 RPM, my boat hit 45.1 MPH with me, my 60lb dog, trolling motor and batteries, and 33 gal of fuel! This is still above the spec WOT for the motor. I had plenty of hole shot and grip in turns with the prop too. This test was done on a lake with no current and I averaged top speed going with and against the wind to 45.1!  I am going to swap for a 21p and run it Thursday. If the motor will turn it well, I might be looking at 50MPH with low fuel and no trolling motor. I have a feeling that a ported 21p 3 blade will be the ticket. More to follow! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, croakersmoker said:

@geeviam @Hunter york I hooked up the 19p 3 blade today and got to testing. I still can't believe the results I got! This is in sloppy conditions. Not rough, just not what you look for to reach top speeds. Well at 6250 RPM, my boat hit 45.1 MPH with me, my 60lb dog, trolling motor and batteries, and 33 gal of fuel! This is still above the spec WOT for the motor. I had plenty of hole shot and grip in turns with the prop too. This test was done on a lake with no current and I averaged top speed going with and against the wind to 45.1!  I am going to swap for a 21p and run it Thursday. If the motor will turn it well, I might be looking at 50MPH with low fuel and no trolling motor. I have a feeling that a ported 21p 3 blade will be the ticket. More to follow! 

Wow!  That 16 Bayfisher must be nice and light.  The 90 SHO is an impressive motor too!  Your RPMs went higher with 2" more pitch?  Was it a used loaner/test prop or brand new?  If your motor will spin a 21p correctly, I have a factory new Yamaha Pro Series 13.5 x 21p, ported of course, that I will sell if you're interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both props were able to hit rev limiter. 17p didn’t see speed increase between 6000 and 6250 so I listed speed at 6000. 19p put another mph on above 6k. I have been running 13” props only so far. Another half inch might be too much. I’m going to keep testing on the sdc3 series props for now since my shop is letting me exchange them. Thanks for the offer and advice!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, geeviam said:

That's pretty good Hunter!  Does it feel like your motor is hitting the rev limiter and capping the RPMs at 6000 when you have a little more throttle left?  If not, then you've probably got the correct pitch for that model prop on your rig.

I noticed that it starts to lose grip once the motor is trimmed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hunter york said:

I noticed that it starts to lose grip once the motor is trimmed 

Some pictures would help, but your motor could be mounted too high on the transom.  What bolt hole are the top mounting bolts going through?  First hole (Top)?  Second hole, etc?  The bottom side of the motor cavitation plate should be level with or not more than 3/4" above the bottom of the hull (keel), with the motor (cavitation plate) trimmed parallel with the ground when boat is on the trailer, and trailer is jacked up level with the ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hunter york said:

I noticed that it starts to lose grip once the motor is trimmed 

What Geeviam said.  I will also add that the SCD does not like much trim at all, it is fairly light on cup. And as Croaker found out they are pretty easy to turn for their pitch.  I played with a SCD on a 18 Bayfisher and ended up having some work done to it to allow me to trim it more and pick up some performance.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally agree as well @mulligan @geeviam the shop that installed my outboard has a wall full of sdc3s that they are letting me test for free. I was going to take my results to a wheel that Geeviam suggested and see how it goes. My other option is to just have the sdc worked to perform better than it does. My shop has a ported bravo 2 in 20p that they want me to try next. It might be too much pitch for my setup, but it never hurts to try. I’ll post my results.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, croakersmoker said:

I totally agree as well @mulligan @geeviam the shop that installed my outboard has a wall full of sdc3s that they are letting me test for free. I was going to take my results to a wheel that Geeviam suggested and see how it goes. My other option is to just have the sdc worked to perform better than it does. My shop has a ported bravo 2 in 20p that they want me to try next. It might be too much pitch for my setup, but it never hurts to try. I’ll post my results.

It's great that you have access to a shop with so many props to try.  I would be in Hog-Heaven with that!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...