Pathfinder / Ranger ....HewesYourDaddy

fishmanjj

You all know I have owned Pathfinders and Mavericks for the past 22 years. I still own a PF 2200XL.  But I recently bought a Ranger Banshee from a good friend because I wanted to hit some skinny water reds and do some slow trolling for trout this fall here in South Georgia . Going back to where I started. The Banshee is a true skinny water boat. This a a 2008 year model and if you know anything about the old Ranger boats before Bass Pro bought them out, you know they were very good quality built boats. Anyway, after two trips I decided either put a Bimini top on it , or wait until it cools off. It’s around 98F everyday here in South Georgia during dog days. My friend and forum member HewesYourDaddy offered me a top that was on his PF tunnel hull because he wasn’t using it. He said come and get it, so I did. Now,  before you go to laughing at the color combination, I want to remind you that the boat never had a top, I talked to numerous Banshee owners that say they never could find the “ right “ top.  I decided to give it a try.  Let me tell you guys this: I’m 65 years old and don’t want to sit in the hot sun on fish days and bake. So until the fall weather gets here. This is it. It’s about 20 degrees cooler under the top. The wife sits on the bean bag and says it rides just fine. I included a pic of my Pathfinder.   I know this is a MBG forum, well.....that’s a Pathfinder top. 

1B66F95D-8349-4D3B-AB12-A11632C9E874.jpeg

276B6DAE-F902-41B3-AD66-F10B8C4BC3CB.jpeg

723520DF-0AC0-484B-AD8A-AB4A59F60BBC.jpeg

2B5A496E-1D3A-4D1D-A523-459438C1F56E.jpeg

DD76088F-A510-482C-B232-671E803C660C.jpeg

• Like 2

It’s been quite a while since I’ve heard of someone owning a real (pre-BPS) Banshee. Nice find. You gota be comfortable so the top is perfect!

I was aboard a friend’s Banshee about a week after Hurricane Wilma blew thru. We fished Rankin, Santini & Garfield bights near Flamingo for 2 days. Skinny skiff. Cool layout. Simplicity at its finest…. 

• Like 1

Hey Jackie,,,

Man,,,,  that is a mighty cool looking little boat you have there!!  And tiller steering also... I really like that!!   I assume the motor has tilt & trim???

I am now using a Gheenoe with a Yamaha F20, T&T and stick steering for my little "getting in the grass" boat...   I'm not 100% comfortable with it but have been "making it do" for the past couple of years...  Getting in the grass the little Gheenoe is hard to beat but the getting to the grass is what troubles me...  It is definitely not a rough water boat therefore I have to be extra cautious when and where I use it,,,  I've had three of the little Maverick 17' HPX-T's and two of the 17' Pathfinders and loved them all..  I'd have to say the little HPX-Ts are my favorite "grass boat" so far...  I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one of those Banshees like you've got...  I would really like to see it up close. Next time I go up to Savannah I'm going to give you a call and see I can stop by and take a peek at it... 

What size Yamaha is that???

Do you ever bring your little boat down here and fish the grass with your son?  I'll be glad to share some local favorite skinny-water spots with you guys...

I always said that I would never have an inshore fishing boat with a T-Top on it, but the older I get the more "shade dependent" I become...  I've had to completely relearn how to fish with my current 22' PF w/T-Top but like you mention, 20-degrees cooler makes a huge difference...  

180659368_2013Gheenoe9.thumb.jpeg.2eb4bf5703a779002e849f76808db084.jpeg