Stacking batteries

Miss Jazzy

Thinking about switching over to 36v T/M. I already have 4 batteries in my console with two for 24v T/M, one house, and one starting. If I go to 36v I would either have to stack one on top of another or put one on top of my access panel, witch I would have to beef up to support it. I know I’ve seen folks on here that have stacked them and would love to see some ideas. 

That would mean I would have to totally rewire everything plus neither of my current house/starting bats would be any good for a 36v setup. I fish offshore a good bit and love the redundancy of a dedicated “start” battery. Adding another battery would be far easier and I don’t mind the extra weight. 60-70 more lbs. isn’t going to make a difference. Thought about goin to lithium but then I would have to swap out an almost new three bank charger to boot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

You only need 4 batteries.  3 for troller, one for crank / house.  Wire in a troller battery as backup crank and save weight and headaches.

This is what I did, one extra jumper wire is all you need and can still charge that trolling battery via battery switch. Sure you can stack them with a shelf, just better be a heckuva shelf!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 2:51 PM, Lap it Up said:

You only need 4 batteries.  3 for troller, one for crank / house.  Wire in a troller battery as backup crank and save weight and headaches.

that's what all the NEW HPS 2300 and 2500's have.....use DEKA 31's and you'll be fine...

When I had my Pathy 22, I had a 36V old skool troller, and I fit 4 batteries in the console....make a battery box and you should be ok.....I think you are asking for trouble with a "shelf" and 150 lbs of batteries on top of each other.....

dc

I’m running a 4 battery set up as well with 3 deep cycles for the 112 I pilot and one 1,000 cranking amp cranking/house battery.  I have my battery switch looped into one of my trolling motor batteries in case my cranking battery (#1) get low and won’t crank.  I just flip the switch to both for extra juice.  I’ve been using this set up for over a decade.  Never an issue.

I have an 04 2200TE with 5 group 31 batteries all under the console. 

My set up uses trollbridge 36 volt to charge on the run. 

The cranking battery is dedicated solely for  cranking but I  can connect all 5 in parallel if needed.

Maybe a little  overkill but in SC the tides can eat up a battery quickly. the new touchsceens also demand a lot of juice. Add a jl 800 amp and the power consumption almost needs a very long extension chord. 

20220812_072155.jpg

4 hours ago, smilemaker said:

I have an 04 2200TE with 5 group 31 batteries all under the console. 

My set up uses trollbridge 36 volt to charge on the run. 

The cranking battery is dedicated solely for  cranking but I  can connect all 5 in parallel if needed.

Maybe a little  overkill but in SC the tides can eat up a battery quickly. the new touchsceens also demand a lot of juice. Add a jl 800 amp and the power consumption almost needs a very long extension chord. 

20220812_072155.jpg

Thanks! This is what I’ve seen before. I too have a lot of electronics running all the time. Two HDS gen3’s, vhf, 600 watt amp and radio. The last couple of trips I’ve ran my t/m completely down trying to hold over my spots. Even with setting up one of my t/m batteries to hopefully start my motor would not always be a guarantee. Plus I would only need to stack one battery over another. I have four on the floor now. 

C3AA54AF-4B09-44FD-81D0-1233B827D01F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, redzone1 said:

I’m running a 4 battery set up as well with 3 deep cycles for the 112 I pilot and one 1,000 cranking amp cranking/house battery.  I have my battery switch looped into one of my trolling motor batteries in case my cranking battery (#1) get low and won’t crank.  I just flip the switch to both for extra juice.  I’ve been using this set up for over a decade.  Never an issue.

I would love to do this.  Currently 3 batts for the trolling motor and one as a crank/house.   

Im no electrician.

How do I wire in one of my trolling motor batts to the open number two spot on my batter switch and not send the boats electrical system and engine 36V?  Also after I do that if start the engine with that single trolling battery will the alternator charge just that single battery?

1 hour ago, Fastfish said:

Im no electrician.

Please be very careful....you can "ARC' the batteries....if you correct them incorrectly, you could end up with 24V or 36V going to your engine and burn up a few things.

If you are unsure, take it to a marine "Mechanic/electrician"....for the few $$$ it could save you.

That said, I"ve learned electrical work from websites and watching a lot of YOUTUBE videos., but, I take my time, I prestage it outside the console, use a volt meter, etc. before I connect to the motor or TM.

dc