2001/2400 Pathfinder - Backing Plates?

I have 2400 Model year 2001. I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket T-Top and I was wondering if anyone knows if there are pre-installed screw retention backing plates at the forward corners of the console. I'm considering how to install in light of lack of access to use backing plates. I saw a owner's manual for model year 2012 that shows the locations of backing plates for leaning post, T-Top, and trolling motor in the 2012 model year 2400. I was trying to figure out if that occurred back in 2001. Thanks for any info!

The only way you are going to know for sure, is to use a light and mirror to look under the deck. Skip sent me a drawing of the locations when I bought my 23 HPS. Once I know about where to look, I used the light and mirror trick and found that the locations are not hard to find. The factory installed backing for trolling motors, T-tops and leaning posts are aluminum or synthetic material and are incapsulated in the fiberglass. You can see a clear outline of the backing material while looking under the deck. The bottom or underside of the deck will be unfinished fiberglass and basically flat, but anywhere they install the backing material, the deck will bulge down about 1/2 to 3/4". 

• Like 1

I do not believe these earlier models have the backing plates.

I have an '03 2400 and my original T-Top is held down with screws that are backing out on me. I would assume these would be bolts and would not be backing out if backing plates were used.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

The only way you are going to know for sure, is to use a light and mirror to look under the deck. Skip sent me a drawing of the locations when I bought my 23 HPS. Once I know about where to look, I used the light and mirror trick and found that the locations are not hard to find. The factory installed backing for trolling motors, T-tops and leaning posts are aluminum or synthetic material and are incapsulated in the fiberglass. You can see a clear outline of the backing material while looking under the deck. The bottom or underside of the deck will be unfinished fiberglass and basically flat, but anywhere they install the backing material, the deck will bulge down about 1/2 to 3/4". 

I don't think there is any access to do what you propose in my boat. If there was access to the area where the T-Top feet would mount, I'd just use bolts and backing plates. under the deck anyway. 

On 8/29/2022 at 3:19 PM, PGolz said:

I do not believe these earlier models have the backing plates.

I have an '03 2400 and my original T-Top is held down with screws that are backing out on me. I would assume these would be bolts and would not be backing out if backing plates were used.

The backing plates I am talking about were glassed into the deck. The idea was that you would be able to use screws through the aluminum backing plates, and the screws would hold better if they went through the plate. 

48 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

My 03 2200v had backing plates in all three locations. The T was rock solid and screws never came loose or backed out. The oem manual showed locations of these plates.

Thanks. Any idea where I can find an OEM manual for earlier model years? I searched through he forums. Regardless of finding a manual, it looks like the T-Top plates are exactly where you'd expect them to be at the forward corners of the console, assuming they exist in 2001. Sound right? 

2 hours ago, wmason said:

Thanks. Any idea where I can find an OEM manual for earlier model years? I searched through he forums. Regardless of finding a manual, it looks like the T-Top plates are exactly where you'd expect them to be at the forward corners of the console, assuming they exist in 2001. Sound right? 

You may want to google for the manual. I did years ago. Here is a pic. Sorry, just gave mine  to the new owner.

Just googled 2400 and there are several owner manual sites along with other model and sizes. Hopes this helps. 😀👍️Fin

03844023-E189-405B-B33A-00A3468500BA.jpeg

You might want to invest in a "bore scope" to search those hidden places for backing plates. They are relatively inexpensive compared to years ago, because now they make some that connect to your phone. $40 to $50 bucks for a really good bore scope. I like to do my own maintenance and installs, so I use my bore scope all the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

You might want to invest in a "bore scope" to search those hidden places for backing plates. They are relatively inexpensive compared to years ago, because now they make some that connect to your phone. $40 to $50 bucks for a really good bore scope. I like to do my own maintenance and installs, so I use my bore scope all the time. 

Totally agree, got one last year for the hidden areas of the boat. Waterproof and works great. 👍

• 2 months later...