Hewes Redfisher 18

CAPTA1N1NSANEO

While I was searching through Google on forums for Hewes  Redfishers; I came across this forum and decided to join.  I have a Hewes Redfisher 18. I was able to remove old decals with a heat gun, a razor blade, a little bit a goo gone and A whole lot of elbow grease.  However, there remains some residue from that adhesive from the vinyl decals.

Does anybody have any tips on how to get this off?

Also, I am looking to compound, polish and buff the hull. Any info would help on what products I should buy.  thank you

3EA5139F-4894-4B70-985F-815F56C73497.jpeg

Nice, classic Hewes! My first MBG boat was a 1991 Hewes Redfisher 18' with a Yamaha 130. I loved that boat. There are a number of posts on the forum giving recommendations on how to detail a boat. I think I did a detailed post about a year ago. There is a current topic about detailing non-skid in the General forum section. Last week I suggested going onto YouTube and searching "Drake's Detailing". That was seconded by another forum member. Drake probably has 30 instructional videos on all aspects of detailing a boat. I followed his advice and my 2008 21' Master Angler came out looking like new. Welcome to the forum!

Not sure how it works on gelcoat but I have used rubber eraser wheels that chuck into a drill to remove residue on car paint. If it is safe for paint it should be safe for gelcoat. They probably have them at your local auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remover-Graphics-diameter-threaded/dp/B00063VT0G/ref=asc_df_B00063VT0G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807921328&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1518625966527795578&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012232&hvtargid=pla-451421021261&psc=1